It is currently Fri 6 Dec 2019 22:29 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Money matters

2009 Credit crunch

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

2009 Credit crunch

Postby Red » Thu 26 Mar 2009 12:17 GMT

Hi all

Excluding eating out ( That's one's own choice) how much would you estimate it would be for normal running costs per month for a family of say two for food, cleaning materials etc., (not all UK brands - mixed) not utilities or car, just normal day to day living?

How much do you think such costs have risen since 12 months ago?

I am asking this as people on fixed incomes from the UK will have to re-evaluate because of the exchange rate; having said all that, prices have risen considerably here especially for people without loans and mortgages.

I would trully appreciate if you can help by giving me some numbers to crunch, as it is now decision time - make or break for us.

Red
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Red
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 26 Mar 2009 18:19 GMT

in € terms, cost of living is a few % higher than a year ago.

living expenses - this has been discussed a few times, and the problem is it varies massively.

living cost excl eating out, utilities and car - many spend €750 - 1,000 per month. I'm sure some on the forum will spend alot less, and some alot more, so its difficult to generalise - how much do you spend on this in the UK ? You can probably assume Malta will be between 25% cheaper and about the same as the UK - some probably live on only 50% of what they spent in the UK, others may well spend more. Some of the big items you may or may not need to consider are

health insurance
holidays
alcohol
cigarettes
electrical items
internet
cable TV
mobile phones

if you don't purchase any of the above, then your expenditure could be less than 50% compared to someone who purchases all the above
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

2009 Credit Crunch

Postby Red » Fri 27 Mar 2009 13:32 GMT

Thanks Mark

During our stay in Gozo for the whole of November '08, we found our outgoing on food about the same as the UK (swings and roundabouts) mixing local with British known brands. The findings came a bit of a shock, as over the years it had been cheaper in Gozo, therefore, I wondered if it was still climbing over there.

We have now found since January this year that our food bill in the UK has increased by at least 20% using well known brands - and I'm not kidding! so from what you say it probably won't be much, if any dearer in Gozo.

Thanx again
Red
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Red
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Mon 30 Mar 2009 09:34 GMT

costs haven't risen much in Malta in € - I presume you are converting into £, hence why they seem to have climbed alot in Gozo
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

2009 Credit crunch

Postby Red » Mon 30 Mar 2009 14:26 GMT

Yes Mark probably.

Prices have risen most here on anything including food which is imported.
I guess it will also be the same there for anyone who is paid in sterling and then has to buy everything in euros.

Red
Posted by:
Red
Supporter

Return to Money matters