It is currently Fri 13 Dec 2019 21:02 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Money matters

Visa Debit Card

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Visa Debit Card

Postby Ian1980 » Thu 26 Mar 2009 14:35 GMT

I have been living in Malta for 10 months. I have had a bank account with BOV for the last 6 months. I have a Maltese ID card and have a permanent job here with a fixed income. I asked at the bank yesterday if I could exchange my cashlink for a cashlink debit visa. I was told that as I am not a Maltese citizen I won't be allowed to have one. I was told the same when I called the call centre. Is this correct? I would like to be able to use the card to make payments over the internet for flights, ebay etc. Has anybody had a similar problem? I intend to stay here and it's a hassle to transfer money into my UK account and also expensive!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Ian1980
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 26 Mar 2009 18:24 GMT

do you have a residency permit ? If so, I'd have thought they couldn't discriminate against a non-Maltese EU citizen in that way
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Ian1980 » Thu 26 Mar 2009 18:59 GMT

I have a work permit. I don't know anything about residency permits?? Can you advise me further. Thanks
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Ian1980
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 26 Mar 2009 19:05 GMT

Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Money matters