It is currently Wed 21 Aug 2019 18:06 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Money matters

Visa Debit Card

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Visa Debit Card

Postby Ian1980 » Thu 26 Mar 2009 14:35 GMT

I have been living in Malta for 10 months. I have had a bank account with BOV for the last 6 months. I have a Maltese ID card and have a permanent job here with a fixed income. I asked at the bank yesterday if I could exchange my cashlink for a cashlink debit visa. I was told that as I am not a Maltese citizen I won't be allowed to have one. I was told the same when I called the call centre. Is this correct? I would like to be able to use the card to make payments over the internet for flights, ebay etc. Has anybody had a similar problem? I intend to stay here and it's a hassle to transfer money into my UK account and also expensive!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Ian1980
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 26 Mar 2009 18:24 GMT

do you have a residency permit ? If so, I'd have thought they couldn't discriminate against a non-Maltese EU citizen in that way
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Ian1980 » Thu 26 Mar 2009 18:59 GMT

I have a work permit. I don't know anything about residency permits?? Can you advise me further. Thanks
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Ian1980
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 26 Mar 2009 19:05 GMT

Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Money matters