It is currently Wed 21 Aug 2019 13:32 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Money matters

tax allowance

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

tax allowance

Postby C&D » Sat 7 Nov 2009 13:54 GMT

My wife and i are coming to live in Gozo in February and planning to stay as temp residents. We are both British citizens living in England. We have enough capital to meet the minimum requirements for self sufficiency. My wife is retired and of state pension age. I will not be employed and not yet of state pension age. We are hoping to live in Gozo for 10,000 euro's per annum. Funded from savings in England.
Can anyone please tell us if we will qualify for the 11,900 euro tax allowance and not pay any tax as long as we do not bring into Gozo more than this amount?
I have read some of the other posts on this subject but the more i read the more my head turns to mush.
Thanks. :? :D
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
C&D
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sat 7 Nov 2009 14:22 GMT

Hi

Can I first thank you on behalf of the animals at Gozo SPCA for subscribing to the recommended suppliers forum :D

Yes, you will qualify. You can actually bring more than that, as long as anything above that is capital and not income.

ps When you say temporary residents, do you mean less than 3 months ? In which case you will "only" be tourists, and so not required to meet the minimum requirements for self sufficiency anyway.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby C&D » Sat 7 Nov 2009 15:57 GMT

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the speedy reply.
I should have said ordinary resident not temporary as we hope to stay for the foreseeable future.
Best regards,
Dave and Christine. :)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
C&D
Supporter

Return to Money matters