It is currently Thu 19 Sep 2019 02:23 GMT
Change font size

Money matters

cost of living

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Postby Penury » Thu 3 Jun 2010 18:42 GMT

chris green wrote:It's flexible. The Maltese mostly calculate in Maltese Lira. They all carry little calculators for the conversion to Euro.

These special calculators have two "=" buttons. One for charging the locals and the other for foreigners.

You think I'm kidding?

Any suggestions of not seemingly acting like a foreigner or in getting charged 2.3 times the actual price, as well as what has been your personal experiences getting around this trying to overcharge outsiders

In Toronto where we live we have a diverse ethnic population [now about 30%] which you quickly learn from.

The first I learned, was to never pay the posted or asking price - to negotiate to death everything - often starting with

No, its too much

You charge so much for so little

Then by offering 50% of whatever they want to charge you

My own 25 year old Canadian born daughter will go into a major brand store & talk down the price - even argues with the grocery check out clerk that they overcharged her when as with everything today, its all computerized pricing.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby chris green » Thu 3 Jun 2010 19:14 GMT

Hi Penury.
Your daughter could apply her skills as a personal shopper if she moves to Malta.
It is not in my nature to be confrontational so I simply do not return to the shop or tradesman. If they treat me dishonestly then this may also extend to the quality of the goods or service.
There are some good guys - just a bit thin on the ground.
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby Penury » Thu 3 Jun 2010 19:26 GMT

Chris, is it really just overcharging, getting whatever they think they can get, straight up dishonesty or simply expecting that bartering is a way of life in Malta given the med culture
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby chris green » Thu 3 Jun 2010 20:46 GMT

No, it is different. Generally, the Maltese would be mortified to be associated with Arab type culture (although it may be their roots). I can accept the bartering where it is a regular feature but what I am trying to convey is that there is a short-termism here which is also evident in their appalling customer service. It is sometimes very frustrating but then I'm just here for the sun and absence of rain.
And it's past my bed time. Goodnight.

Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby Pippin » Sun 26 Sep 2010 12:05 GMT

May I suggest that you buy only from shops that show their prices. It is against the law in Malta to sell things without having the price on display. I am Maltese but I won't buy from a shop that doesn't have the prices marked. It's obvious it's not a trustworthy place if they're breaking the law.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Pippin
Free member

Postby chris green » Sun 26 Sep 2010 12:18 GMT

Goodness Pippin, you're digging up some old posts. But the point you make is quite correct. I refuse to return to a shop or tradesman that rips me off. Once bitten, twice shy. And I will bad-mouth them to my acquaintances.
To be fair I also make a point of recommending those that give good service. :mrgreen:

Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby puwer98 » Sun 6 Mar 2011 19:45 GMT

Can someone gives an idea of basic food costs coffee milk sugar beer spirits fruit veg that sort of thing please
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
puwer98
Free member

Postby gozomark » Sun 6 Mar 2011 20:28 GMT

in a supermarket ? - most of your list are similar prices to UK (although beer is much cheaper - 50c for 500ml)

basically a typical supermarket shop is similar to UK, some items more, some less, but it averages out about the same.

milk 70-80c for 1 litre
eggs 1.50 for 12
fruit/veg - seasonal
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sun 6 Mar 2011 20:33 GMT

lots of items priced on the following

http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... hp?t=21542
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby puwer98 » Tue 8 Mar 2011 19:55 GMT

I have had a good look at the above THread. Prices do seem to be same as UK not been there for 4 years.

So what about a rental 2 bed. Someone on here said around 625 for a month plus rent. As we are both pensions would we be better in a town or village.

What is the cost of buses if there are any
Posted by:
puwer98
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 8 Mar 2011 20:50 GMT

2 bed rental - anywhere from € 200 to € 2,000 - certainly in Gozo € 400 would get you a very nice apartment

buses - around 50c-€ 1 a trip

"As we are both pensions would we be better in a town or village." Malta is so small, that it doesn't matter that much
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Money matters