It is currently Mon 17 Jun 2019 16:33 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Money matters

Transfer of utilities account

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Transfer of utilities account

Postby stuartd1 » Thu 21 Jan 2010 06:58 GMT

We are moving to a new long term rental soon and are thinking of having the utilities account transferred to our name but understand they may be ramifications.

Has anyone done this and could they advise on the procedure and requirements that Enemalta have?
Regards,Stuartd1
Posted by:
stuartd1
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 21 Jan 2010 07:36 GMT

A good question - once we have a consensus on this, I'll add to the housing FAQs

http://www.enemalta.com.mt/page.asp?p=1052&l=1

16.How do I change consumer name on utility bill?

In order to request a change of consumer on a utility bill, a change of consumer form, also obtainable from Water Services Corporation website, has to be submitted at WSC Customer Care offices in Valletta. Any outstanding dues on account in question must be settled and new consumer is to produce evidence of ownership or else a guarantee deposit has to be made.

Should you require further information about the new utility billing system, you may contact our Customer Care on freephone 8007 2222 or by e-mail at customercare.emc@enemalta.com.mt

Only mentions Valletta, [edit] you can also go to the office in Victoria. I believe if you don't have a Malta ID card you will need to leave a deposit (and possibly pay a higher tariff as well), hence why some who don't have an ID card leave the bill in their landlord's name.

If you have ID card, a benefit of having it in your name is that you can claim the reductions given for each inhabitant [edit] but you need to be registered for tax to claim the reductions. I believe you will also need it in your name if you wish to apply for solar water or PV cell installation subsidy. Having in your name gives you a proof of address for things like opening bank accounts.

In summary (and very happy to be corrected)

+
reductions per inhabitant
solar water or PV cell installation subsidy
lower tariffs ?
gives a proof of address

-
deposit ?
higher tariffs ?
paperwork
Last edited by gozomark on Thu 21 Jan 2010 10:04 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Utilities Name Change.

Postby chris green » Thu 21 Jan 2010 09:48 GMT

Yes you can make the change at the Victoria Office BUT you will also need to evidence that you are registered with Inland Revenue to receive the reduction.

It's in the small print!
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 21 Jan 2010 10:01 GMT

Thanks Chris - makes sense - why should you get a subsidy if you aren't registered for tax, plus if you are resident you are supposed to register for tax anyway.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby chris green » Thu 21 Jan 2010 10:12 GMT

Correct, although there does not seem to be any link twixt ID office and Inland Revenue so many Ex-pats I talk with have not registered. They assume that because their imported and/or local income is below the taxation levels that they do not need to register with the tax office. Not so.
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 21 Jan 2010 10:21 GMT

Serves them right for not following this forum then :D There are also many without residency permits

EU citizen moving to Malta Q&A
http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... hp?t=21114

3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta (ie not TR) ?
residency permit
ID card
employment licence (if intending on working - not req for self employed)
You will also need to contact the Inland Revenue Department and register at the Expatriates section for a Tax number, and if you are working, contact the Social Security Department in order to be given an social security number.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Money matters