It is currently Tue 18 Jun 2019 20:40 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Money matters

The Big Question

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

The Big Question

Postby Annie'sdad » Mon 12 Apr 2010 18:35 GMT

We are a couple in our 50s plus a cat we are looking to move to Malta in the Early winter. Having looked at so many posts on cost of living etc I am still a wee bit confused about how much we would need to spend to live there. Assuming we find a rental to suit our needs and that we like to have the odd meal out, a coffee now and then and a bottle of wine or two per week. We would bring a four year old car too. We would need to have web access and would like to watch Sky TV we would want to live there for at leat 5 years and have the minimum self sufficiancy figure for a couple. How much would you expect us to need to enjoy a reasonable but not extravigant lifestyle? A number of replies woulld be greatly appreciated and I suspect many other contemplating the dream will wish to know too. Thanks everyone for this inspiring site.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Annie'sdad
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Mon 12 Apr 2010 19:06 GMT

Do you mean including rent ? If so, whats your budget ?
do you smoke ?
will you need health insurance ?
will you travel abroad ?

based on what you've said so far, it could be anywhere from 10K to 40K per annum 8)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Annie'sdad » Tue 13 Apr 2010 05:26 GMT

Thanks Gozomark for your prompt reply. We were looking at max Euro 750 per month on rental. We dont smoke, we have health insurance for now in the UK but are willing to let it go if we can access the state system there. We would only really travel abroad if I were working and the client would pay. When I say we would want to watch sky tv its only really to access to basic UK channels. In real terms we would semi retire and any income we would get would go into savings for full retirement through the odd piece of consultancy work. We would live a quiet and simple life. We would need access to the internet in order to win any work and stay in touch with the outside world. Euro 40 is way too much to be honest and 10 would be a dream but feels tight. would anybody who is doing it as a couple on our terms hazard a reasonabale guess as to what we would need?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Annie'sdad
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 13 Apr 2010 05:52 GMT

750 a month on rent is already 9K, so I'd narrow it to 20-30K, based on what you've said.

Probably a better way of approaching it is - how much do you spend in the UK excluding rent ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Annie'sdad » Tue 13 Apr 2010 16:28 GMT

Cheers Gozomark, We are goiny to monitor our expendituer over the next couple of months and get a more accurate feel for it your feedback as ever has been invaluable, thanks. AD
Posted by:
Annie'sdad
Supporter

Postby sliemawanderer » Tue 13 Apr 2010 17:14 GMT

You can get internet for just under €14 a month
Upto 4mb speed and UNLIMITED downloads.

Unfortunately i cannot mention what company they are,but it starts with the letter DELETED [from gozomark: if you don't like the forum rules, then fine, go elsewhere, but please don't try and circumvent them - it wastes your time and mine - as it happens all the prices from each provider are already given on the recommended suppliers forum]
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
sliemawanderer
Free member

Postby johnofessex » Tue 13 Apr 2010 18:05 GMT

Annie'sdad wrote: we have health insurance for now in the UK but are willing to let it go if we can access the state system there.

You might like to check out the healthcare threads. While you are under UK state retirement age, it is quite likely that you might need to put up money (via private insurance or Maltese Social Security contributions) to access healthcare.
Posted by:
johnofessex
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 13 Apr 2010 18:08 GMT

Unless they use the bilateral agreement
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby johnofessex » Tue 13 Apr 2010 19:17 GMT

Which one could certainly do if happy with its limitations.
Posted by:
johnofessex
Supporter

Return to Money matters