It is currently Tue 12 Nov 2019 19:13 GMT
Change font size

Money matters

Water & Electricity

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Water & Electricity

Postby Morton » Sat 14 Aug 2010 13:58 GMT

Hello there,

This is my first posting,

I’ve been looking at your various threads, for the cost and consumption of water and electricity.

We have recently acquired a holiday apartment, but will be actually using it for the first time soon.

Can I just give you a few figures to see if I’ve understood this correctly?

With regards to electricity up to 2000kw usage, estimating 10kw usage per day. This should cost approximately €1.12 per day, roughly, 8 Euro a week?

With regards to water usage m3 non-residential is €2.10, therefore, roughly 15 Euro per week.

I may have (probably) got this completely wrong.
Can someone help please?
:D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Morton
Free member

Postby gozomark » Sat 14 Aug 2010 18:56 GMT

Hi Morton, and welcome to the forum :-) Your costs per unit are wrong - they look a few years old - the current costs are on the links below

electricity tariff
http://www.enemalta.com.mt/page.asp?p=995

Assuming you are on the residential tariff, first 2,000 kw pa is 16.1c per Kwh plus € 65 per annum. If on domestic tariff then 21c - if you are resident you pay the residential, if only here as tourist the domestic.

water
http://www.wsc.com.mt/%28S%28arpugd45da ... s_2010.pdf
€ 59 per annum, then the first 33m2 per person at € 1.47, then € 5.41
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Morton » Sat 14 Aug 2010 19:47 GMT

Hi Mark,
Very many thanks for your info :wink:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Morton
Free member

Postby Morton » Sun 15 Aug 2010 08:05 GMT

I don't want to appear thick but, can you just explain in simple terms what 'the first 33m2 per person at € 1.47, then € 5.41' means. I can't get my head around the 'per person' part of this calculation. How does anyone know how many people are using the apartment at any one time? Can you understand what I mean?

For example my wife and I using the apartment say for a 2 week stay, how is that likely to be calculated? If we were having 2 showers a day each and general washing (no dish washer), would it be fair to say that we are likely to use m3 over 2 days? Therefore a calculation of around €11 for a 2 week stay - am I reading this right? or have I got it totally wrong?

Many thanks.
Posted by:
Morton
Free member

Postby gozomark » Sun 15 Aug 2010 08:20 GMT

what 'the first 33m2 per person at € 1.47, then € 5.41' means. - this an a annual allowance/subsidy of 33m2 per person per annum. Its calculated based on how many people are living in the house/flat according to your electricity/water bill. If you are on the domestic tariff, it will be zero people.

2 people will on average use anywhere from 0.1-0.3 m2 per person per day, most likely towards the lower end - thus for 2 people for 2 weeks, usage is typically 3-8 m2 - so based on domestic tariff € 15-45 for 2 weeks. Based on residential, if using subsidised water allocation, then € 5-15
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Morton » Sun 15 Aug 2010 09:34 GMT

Thanks Mark your a pal. :wink:

Just one last thing... would I be correct in saying that the old surcharges do not apply anymore with the 2010 tariffs?
Posted by:
Morton
Free member

Residents or Domestic

Postby scubabaz » Wed 25 Aug 2010 17:35 GMT

Thought the article in the Malta Times today would be of interest to some of the members of this forum. I was not aware that as non- residents we pay more for our water and electricity. A lot more!
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100825/opinion/higher-bills-for-foreign-residents
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
scubabaz
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 25 Aug 2010 21:09 GMT

Yep, unless you are a resident (so have ID card and residency permit) and are registered for tax, then you pay the unsubsidised or domestic tariff, rather than the residential tariff.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby scubabaz » Wed 8 Sep 2010 21:35 GMT

I have just received my latest water electric bill. I usually pay this online via a credit card. Having logged onto the WSC website it states “06-09-2010 - Please note that the Online Payment Facility is not Available” Does anyone know if this a permanent or is it a technical problem.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
scubabaz
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 8 Sep 2010 21:41 GMT

I emailed them a week ago about this - no answer yet - I tried calling, and nobody could help. I went to the Gozo office (as it says on the bill you can pay by credit card there) and told no you can't.

On the back of the bill you can fill in your credit card details and post it back to them, but I'd rather do it online.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sat 2 Oct 2010 20:47 GMT

The online credit card option is back - not that they bothered to email me, I just checked, and its been back for a few days.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Electricity prices

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Mon 4 Oct 2010 17:23 GMT

I had no idea there was a difference in the price of electricity between residents and non. I thought the Government had removed all subsidies this year - at least that's what all the taxi drivers are moaning about?! :o
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Mon 4 Oct 2010 18:21 GMT

Residents are still billed at below cost for the first several thousand units. What has been eliminated is the subsidy on gas.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby pumabob » Mon 4 Oct 2010 22:16 GMT

unless you are a resident...... then you pay the unsubsidised or domestic tariff, rather than the residential tariff.

And there's me thinking we were now one big happy family in the EU.
But it must be okay for the Maltese Govt to discriminate against the 'foreign nationals' or they wouldn't do it... would they??
:crackup: :crackup:
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 5 Oct 2010 03:54 GMT

It appears to be acceptable under EU law as its not discrimination based on nationality, but on residency. Another example is the free tickets on the Gozo ferry for people with a Maltese OAP card. That discriminates against people in two ways - you have to not only reside in Malta, but have to be of retirement age.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Next

Return to Money matters