It is currently Tue 18 Jun 2019 20:59 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Money matters

Tipping

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Tipping

Postby Red » Sat 11 Sep 2010 19:42 GMT

I know it's usual to tip for good service in restaurants here, as it is in the uk, but is it just as usual to tip in ladies hairdressers?

Obviously this is one for the ladies.

Red
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Red
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sat 11 Sep 2010 21:31 GMT

Well, all I can say is that a 10% tip at the mens hairdressers seems fairly standard
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby boogiewoogie » Sun 12 Sep 2010 07:52 GMT

ooh good topic, a run down on when to tip/not to would be appreciated, generally.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sun 12 Sep 2010 07:58 GMT

Generally the same as the UK - restaurants, taxis, hairdressers, occasionally in a bar esp if waiter service
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Red » Sun 12 Sep 2010 11:34 GMT

Thank you Mark,

Bars, restaurants etc., I have no problem with, as they are usually the employee, but I do have a bit of thing about Hairdressers, but only if it is the owner. Employed stylists - no probs. I have found through friends employed in the hairdressing trade,that it is very feudal, and the owners pay very little to the hardworking underlings (in the UK that is). The trainees and apprentice are expected to pay for the privilege. In the UK I do always tip, but only the employed stylist, but, if that happens to be the owner, I will tip the person who washes my hair.

As the salons here are tiny, I did the usual, and tipped the lackey, but she looked astounded! so I just wondered if they didn't expect to be tipped here. I just wish they had a communal pot which was shared by all, it would be a lot fairer.

Red
Posted by:
Red
Supporter

Return to Money matters