It is currently Mon 23 Sep 2019 09:02 GMT
Change font size

Money matters

How much is the cost of living in malta for single person

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

How much is the cost of living in malta for single person

Postby sharpey2k5 » Wed 17 Nov 2010 23:17 GMT

Hello everyone i have made a post here as you seem to be a very helpful bunch of people and knowledgeble so hoping you can help me answer some questions

One i want to move to malta sometime in the summer of 2011, i am 26 and looking for office work or any work that pays a living wage.

Whats the cost of monthly living for a single person?
rent? food? bills...entertainment ect and taxes.

Where is best to live? i love the north of island like meliah and buggiba and st julians.... but its got to be cheap rent.

My plan is to save enough money for a few months living out there, so i can search for work.....is this the best idea or would you say i need to find work first?

if so how much in total a month would i need per month?

sorry if i am a pain too but do i need to apply for any permission to get jobs or live in malta i am currently a uk citizen so i presume i dont need to do anything ?

Your help would be very good, also if you can help with any jobsites or property places i can search for rented housing. I have looked at relocation sites but there services are expensive so want to do all this on my own with your help.

thanks
very much

gareth (wales, uk)
Posted by:
sharpey2k5

Postby gozomark » Thu 18 Nov 2010 04:29 GMT

Hi Gareth, and welcome to the forum :-)

A good starting point is the folllowing thread

EU citizen moving to Malta Q&A
http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... hp?t=21114

this covers the following

1. An EU citizens legal rights - residency, working, students
2. what sort of residency is available ?
3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta ?
4. do I need to apply for residency before coming to live in Malta ?
5. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
6. do I need health insurance ?
6.1 Do I qualify for public health cover, and if I do, what cover do I have ? Are prescriptions free ?
7. can I work in Malta ?
7.1 How much is income tax ?
7.2 How much are social security contributions ?
8. where do I apply for my residency permit ?
9. where can I get the OR application form ?
10. where do I apply for my ID card ?
11. what documents do I need to apply for OR ?
12. can I vote in Malta ?
13. buying a property FAQ
14. renting a property FAQ
15. Importing a vehicle FAQ
16. What's the procedure for importing/exporting a pet ?
17. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
18. Long term residency permit

cost of living - in general terms, at an exchange rate of 1.15-1.20, Malta is about 10-20% cheaper than the UK, but it really depends on your lifestyle - some things are cheaper, some more expensive

Many of your questions have been debated before - if you check out the rest of the forum, you should find alot of info
eg
Where to live in Malta or Gozo ?
http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... .php?f=806
if you can't find the info you require, please feel free to ask any questions you have, but in the relevant sections rather than all in one place.

ps if you want info on recommended companies (such as property agents), we only allow this on the recommended suppliers forum. This costs £ 25 a year to join, with 50% going to help the animals at Gozo SPCA. Full details on the following
http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... =suppliers
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby sharpey2k5 » Thu 18 Nov 2010 20:38 GMT

thanks mark this has been a great site for info :)

i can see property for like £300 euros a month which would be great....do you know how much the bills would come too and food for a month? so i can estimate how much i need to bring out with me for 3 months or so.....i presume if i come on a holiday visa and stay 3 months looking for work and then return back thats ok yeh? for another 3 months? untill i get a job

Can i ask what the job market is like at the moment and is there anything i could do to improve my chances of getting a job? , im hoping my commiting to move there shows the the employer my dedication to getting a job .

thanks again mark your brill :)

gareth
Posted by:
sharpey2k5

Postby gozomark » Fri 19 Nov 2010 03:18 GMT

You may struggle to find somewhere to rent for € 300 a month for only 3 months, esp in the summer - that sort of rental price is generally only available on long term rents.

Excl rent, the amount depends on your lifestyle - you could live on € 500 a month - what do you spend in the UK per month ?

You can come here for 3 months at a time as a tourist as you are an EU citizen - you don't need a holiday visa

job market - not great, and unless you speak Maltese, your options will be further limited
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby boogiewoogie » Fri 19 Nov 2010 13:38 GMT

from you profile you work in a call centre yes? Not sure if they are recruiting but there is a call centre of a major bank in Malta. Think we have employees on the forum. You should find details in the employment section.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Postby dave dee » Fri 19 Nov 2010 15:20 GMT

Boogiewoogie is right and this is one place in Malta where as long as you speak English you will benefit for not speaking Maltese. :D
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Eggs » Sat 20 Nov 2010 13:09 GMT

If you want a job in a call centre send me a mail and i can help you out
===================
Rob Marna Harry Zara :P
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby sharpey2k5 » Wed 25 May 2011 09:27 GMT

hello again everyone and thanks for your reply's i know i am bit delayed in getting back to you but have you got any contacts for these call centers.

and eggs please do contact me that would be fab :)

my email is sharpey2k5@gmail.com

thanks again to anyone that can help :)
Posted by:
sharpey2k5

How much is the cost of living in Malta for a single person

Postby Red » Wed 25 May 2011 19:44 GMT

Hi sharpey2k5
One way to gauge your monthly expenditure on food, could be to keep all your grocery receipts for say a month which would give you an idea of what you buy; then go on the website www.mysupermarket.com (which will give you a comparison between the big UK supermarkets) and compare with the big supermarket in Malta at www.pavisupermarket.com.mt. This will give you some like for like prices, and also show you the prices of local fare. The cost of groceries will also depend on whether you are prepared to change your brands to local (which are cheaper) or stick to what you buy in the UK (which is always more expensive BUT in some instances using local can be a false economy - in my opinion) .Water and electricity will be expensive if you are paying the non discounted tariff, and winter can be very cold inside flats and houses, so you need to budget for lots of bottles of gas which entails an initial deposit on each gas bottle of €25 plus cost of gas @ €16 for 12 kilo or €19.20 for 15 kilo OR as some do just freeeeeeeze. I hope this will help with your own research.

Red
Posted by:
Red
Supporter

Return to Money matters