It is currently Wed 26 Jun 2019 13:48 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Money matters

Registering with Inland Revenue Malta

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Registering with Inland Revenue Malta

Postby johnofessex » Wed 19 Jan 2011 13:25 GMT

I moved to Malta in 2010 and was resident here for more than six months. So I guess I was tax resident.

My aim is to live on payments of capital to Malta, and thus to maintain a zero income tax liability. But I guess I will still need to fill in a tax return to confirm that.

I have been through the residency application process and so at least some bits of the Maltese government know I'm here.

Do I need to notify the Inland Revenue, or someone, of my presence for tax purposes? Or will they contact me?

Grateful for any thoughts.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
johnofessex
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 19 Jan 2011 14:13 GMT

EU citizen moving to Malta Q&A
http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... hp?t=21114

3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta under OR ?

residency permit - working/economically self sufficient/student
ID card
employment licence (if intending on working - not req for self employed)
You will also need to contact the Inland Revenue Department and register at the Expatriates section for a Tax number, and if you are working, contact the Social Security Department in order to be given an social security number.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby JJCE » Wed 19 Jan 2011 15:44 GMT

I went to their offices in Floriana (the expat section) they were very helpful…even to the point of suggesting that I waited a couple of months to register to avoid an ‘unnecessary’ 2010 tax return. They needed may Maltese ID card (the tax number that they give you is normally the same as this) and asked a few questions about likely sources of income…………….and gave me a number and some information….all very easy
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJCE
Supporter

Postby johnofessex » Fri 4 Feb 2011 16:35 GMT

Thanks to both. I followed JJCE's example and delivered my form in person to the Floriana office, where I was dealt with promptly and pleasantly.

Here's a link to the form: http://www.ird.gov.mt/downloads/other/e ... s_form.pdf
Posted by:
johnofessex
Supporter

Postby robmalta » Thu 5 May 2011 14:23 GMT

Hi, new to the forum.

I am wondering if you need an ID card and residency permit before you can apply for a tax number?

I need a letter from the Inland Revenue Malta confirming I am tax resident here. The Irish Revenue will keep taxing me until I get the letter! The online help guys at the IRevenue said I just need to bring a passport and copy of lease to get my number and then, apparently, I toddle off to another section to ask for the letter confirming tax residency in Malta. Hope it is that easy.

Thanks and great site!
Posted by:
robmalta
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Thu 5 May 2011 14:31 GMT

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum, and thank you on behalf of the animals at Gozo SPCA for becoming a premium member :-)

I got a letter recently, and it was very easy, so can confirm that question. I have ID and residency so can't answer your first query.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby robmalta » Thu 5 May 2011 17:01 GMT

Thanks gozomark! Thats good to know.

Yes I suppose it really is a question of how easy it is to become registered for tax. I have been in contact with the rs accountant and might use him for the hard parts!
Posted by:
robmalta
Premium Member

Return to Money matters