It is currently Mon 19 Aug 2019 17:12 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Money matters

Standard of living on a salary of 25 000

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Standard of living on a salary of 25 000

Postby vickyhebditch » Thu 29 Sep 2011 21:04 GMT

Hi,
I am trying to persuade my husband that we can afford to move to Malta!
He is an accountant and would be looking at taking a significant paycut to about 25 000 euros a year, I am a primary school teacher and would be happy to work part time. We have two young children (five and 20 months) that we would be happy to send through the state school system.
Would it be a struggle making ends meet?
We don't have desperately high living standards but want to be not stressing about the weekly food bill. We would want a two bedroomed appartment with a small garden if money stretched.......
Any advice really appreciated - especially any families out there on a similar budget?
Many thanks!
Posted by:
vickyhebditch

Postby gozomark » Thu 29 Sep 2011 21:15 GMT

Hi, and welcome to the forum :-)

25,000 is a good salary in Malta - where are you living now, and what are your annual outgoings ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby vickyhebditch » Fri 30 Sep 2011 17:08 GMT

Thanks so much for the reply!
We live in Scotland at the moment..........Our main outgoings are
Mortgage 800 pounds a month ( a three bedroomed flat with a communal garden)
Heating and Electricity 80 a month
Council tax 100 a month
Childcare 480 a month for two and a half days childminder a week while I work - She costs about sixty percent of my income
Petrol 120 a month
food 360 a month.
Thanks again for getting back to me - we don't really care about money but my husband is worried that we would have to scrimp and budget like mad to get by out there.
Posted by:
vickyhebditch

Postby pumabob » Sat 1 Oct 2011 08:47 GMT

For rough comparison,
We are renting a fairly large villa (3/4 bed - 2/3 reception - 3 loos, with big basement and 4 car garage) for 700euro a month.
Electricity and Water works out roughly 100 a month.
Heating is only needed during winter, but air con/fans is needed during summer.
No council tax.
Can't say what childcare costs.
Petrol and diesel are cheaper in Malta - petrol 1.40 per litre. Importing/buying and taxing a car in Malta can be more expensive than UK, but that's covered in the motoring section.
Food bill for a family of 4 around 4-500euro a month, but my two boys eat non-stop!

Our biggest bill by far is the private school fees for our 2 teenage boys, but if you are going into the state system it's basically free.
Overall your budget above would definitely give you a very good standard of living in Malta. :D
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby boogiewoogie » Mon 3 Oct 2011 18:41 GMT

Hi Vicky! I am in Scotland too. We plan to move in one year as our car will be 2 by then and so avoid the stupid amount of tax to bring it over. I can't help on topic as I am not there yet but wanted to say hi and that you will not find better info on Malta on t'internet. From the research I have done though I can only back up what Bob has said. I think you will manage just fine over there on that with the wishlist you have. Bob I would say that our diesel is currently less than 1.40 which is the first time I have ever known it to be less in UK than in Malta since I joined this board. I think we were about 1.38 last time I filled up, petrol would be a penny or two less but I don't pay much attention to it.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Mon 3 Oct 2011 20:19 GMT

I would say that our diesel is currently less than 1.40 which is the first time I have ever known it to be less in UK than in Malta since I joined this board

I was quoting the petrol price, our diesel in Malta is currently 1.29euro v your 1.40-1.38stg :D :D
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby boogiewoogie » Tue 4 Oct 2011 09:47 GMT

so diesel is cheaper than petrol in Malta? oh it used to be like that here didn't it? Don't know why it has swapped over. 1.29 will be a welcome change. Although still outrageous let's face it.

Vicky if you really want to do a bit more price comparing then I would heartily recommend joining as a premium member. I know it saved me heaps within minutes of joining as it pointed me in the direction of a few things I hadn't known before but also links to suppliers etc. I promise you it is money well spent. There is so much info that I have compiled a notebook for myself with all the relevant important bits for moving, the info is all on the site but spread throughout so I have ordered it the way my brain works so I have all the things I need together. Without the premium site I would have missed heaps and made loads more mistakes. I have no doubt we will still make a few but that is life. I think once you become a full member you start really appreciating the work that has gone into this site.
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 4 Oct 2011 10:11 GMT

Thanks for the recommendation bw :-)

a lot of effort has gone into the premium boards over the years by many people - its great how newcomers first use it, and then update info where required based on their experiences
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby boogiewoogie » Tue 4 Oct 2011 11:50 GMT

You're welcome GM, it is all true. I feel like a stuck record on this topic but I can remember feeling a bit nervous about joining myself wondering if it would be worth it. Immediately I knew it was and spent HOURS scribbling down loads of info in case it ever magically disappeared
Posted by:
boogiewoogie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Wed 5 Oct 2011 01:59 GMT

We'll look to you to type it all back in if it ever does, then. :twisted:

(Never say never. But we do keep the database backed up.)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby chursy » Thu 20 Oct 2011 00:42 GMT

Just out of interest where will our husband be working, as i have been offered a position in Malta in a top accounting firm on a similar package and will be taking a massive pay cut, but i suppose its in line with the markets in Malta!!!

UK market isnt great to be honest! Hope to hear from you
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chursy
Free member

Return to Money matters