It is currently Mon 23 Sep 2019 14:07 GMT
Change font size

Money matters

Question about the cost of living

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Question about the cost of living

Postby tommyl78 » Sun 9 Oct 2011 09:34 GMT

Dear all

In light of the cost of basic food, drink and family stuff in the supermarkets, I struggle to understand how people like my secretary (who is on around €21k a year) can survive.

There was mention on another post about an analysis of some sort of "black market" that existed for the Maltese. Is anyone able to provide a link to this discussion?

Thanks

Tom

PS great website, wish I'd found it earlier...
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
tommyl78
Free member

Postby pumabob » Sun 9 Oct 2011 10:29 GMT

Strange question and there's been no mention of a 'black market' that I know of.
Lots of Maltese 'cut their cloth to suit' so manage on a lower income than UK because they don't buy the more expensive brands.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby tommyl78 » Sun 9 Oct 2011 10:39 GMT

Bob

Strange question perhaps, but it was prompted by the following thread:

http://britishexpat.com/expatforum/malt ... hp?t=21875

in which Flymo says "As The Doc has very kindly worked out how the locals survive with the black market I wont bother inputting my take on this but we do find the cost of living to be a bit on the cheeky side".

Given that I agree with Flymo's take on the cost of living ("buy ten get one free" is deemed a bargain around here) I am quite interested in what "The Doc" may (or may not) have concluded.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
tommyl78
Free member

Postby JJ » Sun 9 Oct 2011 12:01 GMT

Flymo's comment is a bit hard to follow even in context but he may well be referring to the fact that most locals have a 'proper' job with the tax, NI, pension and other benefits that come with it, and a 'cash' job to keep the mattress well stocked, pay for the shiny new car and to develop every bit of land they can lay their hands on, not to mention the (cash) income from renting any properties they've already developed.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby dave dee » Mon 10 Oct 2011 16:51 GMT

If you value your secretary and the work she/he does for you i would give him/her a rise immediately before you lose out. I always found if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Return to Money matters