It is currently Wed 11 Dec 2019 17:29 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Money matters

Utilities.

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Utilities.

Postby PeaCakes » Tue 24 Sep 2013 19:24 GMT

Our move is getting closer and money matters are in my mind. So I'm doing some budgets.
Now I won't hold any one to this and I appreciate there are lots of caveats but.........

For a couple (no children....just visitors!) living in a 3/4 bed home with small pool and doing moderate of everything.
What should I provide for in euros on a monthly basis. Guestimates happily accepted.

Gas cylinders.
Electricicty (say with reasonable use of A/C cooling/heating).
Water.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
PeaCakes
Premium Member

Re: Utilities.

Postby achim » Tue 24 Sep 2013 20:10 GMT

Hi Peacakes,

PeaCakes wrote:
Gas cylinders.

We cook every day at least a couple of times and a cylinder lasts 4-6 weeks. If you do a lot of oven cooking probably a bit less. Prices vary a bit, but around the €17 mark from the weekly delivery truck.

PeaCakes wrote:Electricicty (say with reasonable use of A/C cooling/heating).

I'd say around €80-100 /month without use of AC and pool pump running a few hours per day.
What's considered reasonable is different for everybody. Electricity here is REALLY expensive and if you hit certain thresholds, cost doubles for any subsequent consumption. So you could pay say €250 with "reasonable use" of AC up to the 20th of the month and pay another €250 for the last 10 days of the month with the same consumption, because you hit a threshold.
We got caught out and were heating our previous 3-bed, 150m2 flat - as we thought - "reasonably" over the winter with only heating active zones (living room with AC heat pump in the day, bedrooms with oil-filled electric heaters at night) and got lumped with a €1300 bill for a 4 months period.
The same period in a 4 bedroom 200m2 house without heating or AC, but with pool pump running 3 hours/day cost us €400.

PeaCakes wrote:Water.

We spend about €60 per month with two kids and watering a garden, so I'd expect your bill to be lower - although we shower more than bathe... :)
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
achim
Free member

Postby PeaCakes » Tue 24 Sep 2013 20:42 GMT

Thanks for this Achim.....we will certainly have to watch out electricity consumption.
But you have given me some good information to get going on. Thanks.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
PeaCakes
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Tue 24 Sep 2013 21:08 GMT

If your electricity usage is typical, them Maltese electricity prices are actually below EU average
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby achim » Tue 24 Sep 2013 21:18 GMT

gozomark wrote:If your electricity usage is typical, them Maltese electricity prices are actually below EU average

I'd say "typical" is a 2 bed flat, not a 3-4 bed house with pool? It's the thresholds that hit you hard, no? Also it would require that residency is sorted and you have the resulting discounts.

I should add to this that the prices I quoted are for non-resident which are higher by 30-50% for the first bill discussed.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
achim
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 24 Sep 2013 21:20 GMT

Yes, I'm assuming on the lower residential tariff, not the domestic tariff, and yes, typical is not a place with a pool :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Tue 24 Sep 2013 21:24 GMT

achim wrote: bedrooms with oil-filled electric heaters at night

thats the problem - they are very inefficient,each one using more electricity than a modern aircon unit - cheap to buy but expensive to run.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby achim » Tue 24 Sep 2013 21:29 GMT

gozomark wrote:

thats the problem - they are very inefficient

Yes, that was one of our issues as well, but we only had aircon in bedrooms (without heat pumps variety) which doesn't really help in winter. Modern flat with no neighbours and north-west facing was another.
I don't think our bill should be considered typical, but it can serve as a warning :)
Posted by:
achim
Free member

Postby PeaCakes » Wed 25 Sep 2013 08:56 GMT

achim wrote:
gozomark wrote:

thats the problem - they are very inefficient

Yes, that was one of our issues as well, but we only had aircon in bedrooms (without heat pumps variety) which doesn't really help in winter. Modern flat with no neighbours and north-west facing was another.
I don't think our bill should be considered typical, but it can serve as a warning :)

I know a bit of pie in the sky but are the figure you quoted earlier on the cheaper resident tariff.......as this is what I assume I would pay after getting the OR sorted?
Posted by:
PeaCakes
Premium Member

Postby achim » Wed 25 Sep 2013 09:19 GMT

PeaCakes wrote:
I know a bit of pie in the sky but are the figure you quoted earlier on the cheaper resident tariff.......as this is what I assume I would pay after getting the OR sorted?

It was on the Domestic tariff, with OR sorted that should have been around €1k.
But although authorities seem to be slowly getting their act together, it could still take several months to get residency sorted, getting ARMS to accept the documents and receiving the lower residential tariff. So your first bill is likely to be on the domestic tariff as well.
Btw: we request bills every quarter to avoid shock - it costs I think €6 for the extra bills, but worth it.
Posted by:
achim
Free member

Postby PeaCakes » Wed 25 Sep 2013 09:46 GMT

Thanks. Yes I would imagine we will be on the higher tariff for a while......they should back date or refund the overpayment. :lol:
Posted by:
PeaCakes
Premium Member

Postby PeaCakes » Wed 25 Sep 2013 10:01 GMT

Are gas heaters available? The ones with a smaller cylinder in the back of the unit...on wheels? Going back years we used to have paraffin heaters in our house in Pieta. :shock:
Posted by:
PeaCakes
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Wed 25 Sep 2013 10:04 GMT

yes, many people use gas heaters - start from around € 60
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby achim » Wed 25 Sep 2013 10:43 GMT

PeaCakes wrote:they should back date or refund the overpayment. :lol:

Yes, and the local pigs should really be using the heliport for take-off... :lol:
Posted by:
achim
Free member

Return to Money matters