It is currently Fri 13 Dec 2019 16:10 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Money matters

What supermarkets are open in Xaghra on a Sunday?

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

What supermarkets are open in Xaghra on a Sunday?

Postby euphony » Mon 24 Mar 2014 14:47 GMT

Hi all,
I'm certain that this isn't posted in the correct section, but I can't seem to fathom out which one it should go in, so please accept my apologies :oops:

We are shortly going to be arriving in Xaghra to do a spot of house/apartment hunting. We land extremely early on a Sunday morning, so for the first day we were just going to go to the supermarket or corner shop and stock up and spend the first evening in (as we'll be in no fit state to venture out from being awake for 36 hours :lol: )
Anyway, I suddenly remembered that last time we were in malta the shops didn't necessarily open on a Sunday.
Does anyone know if there are any grocery, corner shops or supermarkets open in Xaghra on a sunday, and if so what their rough opening times are?
Many thanks in advance

Chris
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby sarahc » Mon 24 Mar 2014 15:28 GMT

There is a new Lighthouse shop which is between the square and swing park, just down from the police station, same branch to the Duke in Victoria. It is open till 1pm.
There is also a fruit and veg shop which sells bread milk and a few other things, it is in the main square opposite end to the church again open till about 1pm.

On the Marsalforn road there is s little shop which I believe opens on Sunday mornings too.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
sarahc
Free member

Postby euphony » Mon 24 Mar 2014 15:41 GMT

That's wonderful, many thanks for your prompt reply :)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby dp600 » Tue 25 Mar 2014 06:48 GMT

If you go down the Marselform road towards Marselform from Xaghra after the road gets very narrow is a supermarket on the right hand side called J&Ms it is open on a Sunday.
Posted by:
dp600
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Tue 25 Mar 2014 07:46 GMT

Most of the big supermarkets in Gozo open on a Sunday in the morning - its against the law for supermarkets to open on a sunday without a special permit (eg for holidays), but all of Gozo is designated a tourist area, so no permit required !
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby euphony » Tue 25 Mar 2014 09:36 GMT

Thanks for all your help guys , it's much appreciated :)
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Tue 25 Mar 2014 09:45 GMT

I forgot to mention preferably within walking distance of the square, as we won't have a car. We'll probably just end up wandering around until we find one open! We'll look for those two mentioned first (J&M and the Lighthouse)
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby dp600 » Tue 25 Mar 2014 09:57 GMT

Lighthouse is abt 500M from square stand in the square and face the e
Victoria road walk down and it is on the left>
Posted by:
dp600
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Tue 25 Mar 2014 11:21 GMT

ok, cool, thank you :)
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Return to Money matters