It is currently Sun 18 Aug 2019 23:33 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Money matters

Desperate to start work.

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Desperate to start work.

Postby DaveT » Tue 1 Apr 2014 13:42 GMT

Hi everyone. My name is Dave and I'm a registered nurse from the U.K. Mid last December I made an application for registration with the council for nurses and midwives (without which I cannot work in Malta as a nurse). I keep phoning the registrar but he doesn't seem to know anything. I had no idea the process would be this lengthy.

I have a job lined up, but things are getting pretty tight, I can't see us making the rent this month and I'm expecting the utility bills any time now. Does anyone know if I can claim any sort of benefit over here? I'd hate to do something like that, but can't see any other option. :brickwall:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 13:59 GMT

Tricky one

I'm guessing you haven't applied for your eResidence card yet, as you intend on doing it as employed person ?

Have you registered with the ETC as looking for a job - I guess no, as you've found a job!

your status in Malta is not entirely clear - you are probably still a tourist, so you are probably still a resident of the UK
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby DaveT » Tue 1 Apr 2014 14:26 GMT

Thanks for your quick reply gozomark. I have a social security number here.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 14:28 GMT

but not applied for your residence card or registered with the ETC ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 14:29 GMT

you have to apply for your residence card after 3 months - if you are looking for work you can leave it for 6 months, but looking for work means registering with the ETC
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby DaveT » Tue 1 Apr 2014 14:40 GMT

I have an ID card. How do I apply for a residence card, would that help?
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby DaveT » Tue 1 Apr 2014 14:43 GMT

I could apply I think, for jobseekers allowance from England, but that would mean going back to UK which isn't an option.
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 15:39 GMT

when was your id card issued,as foreigners are now issued eResidence cards
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 15:40 GMT

if your card has a chip on the back its the new eResidence card, if it doesnt its the old ID card
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby DaveT » Tue 1 Apr 2014 16:00 GMT

I just had a look and it's the old ID card. I will go to Valletta to get a new one.
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 17:12 GMT

Unless you have sufficient income or capital, they won't give it to you
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Rotkaeppchen101 » Tue 15 Jul 2014 19:15 GMT

Hi sorry can't offer advice but wondered how u managed to find work as a nurse in Malta. Do you need to be proficient in Maltese or is any language tuition offered? Did u use an agency. Has your registration come through yet?
Posted by:
Rotkaeppchen101

Postby DaveT » Wed 16 Jul 2014 07:48 GMT

Hi, I've been working for a few months now so everything is fine. It's relatively easy to find employment as a nurse, most of the care homes and nursing agencies will snap your hand off. If you want to work in a Government Hospital, you have to wait for a "call for applications" which is advertised on the Government Gazette website maybe once or twice a year, you just have to keep checking as no one seems to know when they will advertise. Knowledge of Maltese is not a requirement as all paperwork is written in English. If you need any more help please let me know.
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby Rotkaeppchen101 » Wed 16 Jul 2014 14:44 GMT

Thanks for your reply. glad things are working out. im a children's nurse and work in neonates so might be a bit trickier finding work. I've emailed mater dei but awaiting a reply. st James' have no vacancies though i wouldn't be going anytime soon. they said maltese would be an asset but not essential. Did u manage to secure work before going to Malta? What are the working hours and salary like?
Posted by:
Rotkaeppchen101

Postby DaveT » Wed 16 Jul 2014 15:26 GMT

I found a job as soon as I got here, but because of problems registering with the council I had to wait a while. Full time hours is 40 a week but you can work part time or reduced hours. Salary is a lot less than U.K. but we find the cost of living very cheap so it more than evens out. Plus the Government gives a bonus to every worker every few months which comes in handy.
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Next

Return to Money matters