It is currently Fri 6 Dec 2019 07:59 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Money matters

Desperate to start work.

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Desperate to start work.

Postby DaveT » Tue 1 Apr 2014 13:42 GMT

Hi everyone. My name is Dave and I'm a registered nurse from the U.K. Mid last December I made an application for registration with the council for nurses and midwives (without which I cannot work in Malta as a nurse). I keep phoning the registrar but he doesn't seem to know anything. I had no idea the process would be this lengthy.

I have a job lined up, but things are getting pretty tight, I can't see us making the rent this month and I'm expecting the utility bills any time now. Does anyone know if I can claim any sort of benefit over here? I'd hate to do something like that, but can't see any other option. :brickwall:
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 13:59 GMT

Tricky one

I'm guessing you haven't applied for your eResidence card yet, as you intend on doing it as employed person ?

Have you registered with the ETC as looking for a job - I guess no, as you've found a job!

your status in Malta is not entirely clear - you are probably still a tourist, so you are probably still a resident of the UK
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby DaveT » Tue 1 Apr 2014 14:26 GMT

Thanks for your quick reply gozomark. I have a social security number here.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 14:28 GMT

but not applied for your residence card or registered with the ETC ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 14:29 GMT

you have to apply for your residence card after 3 months - if you are looking for work you can leave it for 6 months, but looking for work means registering with the ETC
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby DaveT » Tue 1 Apr 2014 14:40 GMT

I have an ID card. How do I apply for a residence card, would that help?
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby DaveT » Tue 1 Apr 2014 14:43 GMT

I could apply I think, for jobseekers allowance from England, but that would mean going back to UK which isn't an option.
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 15:39 GMT

when was your id card issued,as foreigners are now issued eResidence cards
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 15:40 GMT

if your card has a chip on the back its the new eResidence card, if it doesnt its the old ID card
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby DaveT » Tue 1 Apr 2014 16:00 GMT

I just had a look and it's the old ID card. I will go to Valletta to get a new one.
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 1 Apr 2014 17:12 GMT

Unless you have sufficient income or capital, they won't give it to you
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Rotkaeppchen101 » Tue 15 Jul 2014 19:15 GMT

Hi sorry can't offer advice but wondered how u managed to find work as a nurse in Malta. Do you need to be proficient in Maltese or is any language tuition offered? Did u use an agency. Has your registration come through yet?
Posted by:
Rotkaeppchen101

Postby DaveT » Wed 16 Jul 2014 07:48 GMT

Hi, I've been working for a few months now so everything is fine. It's relatively easy to find employment as a nurse, most of the care homes and nursing agencies will snap your hand off. If you want to work in a Government Hospital, you have to wait for a "call for applications" which is advertised on the Government Gazette website maybe once or twice a year, you just have to keep checking as no one seems to know when they will advertise. Knowledge of Maltese is not a requirement as all paperwork is written in English. If you need any more help please let me know.
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby Rotkaeppchen101 » Wed 16 Jul 2014 14:44 GMT

Thanks for your reply. glad things are working out. im a children's nurse and work in neonates so might be a bit trickier finding work. I've emailed mater dei but awaiting a reply. st James' have no vacancies though i wouldn't be going anytime soon. they said maltese would be an asset but not essential. Did u manage to secure work before going to Malta? What are the working hours and salary like?
Posted by:
Rotkaeppchen101

Postby DaveT » Wed 16 Jul 2014 15:26 GMT

I found a job as soon as I got here, but because of problems registering with the council I had to wait a while. Full time hours is 40 a week but you can work part time or reduced hours. Salary is a lot less than U.K. but we find the cost of living very cheap so it more than evens out. Plus the Government gives a bonus to every worker every few months which comes in handy.
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Next

Return to Money matters