It is currently Sat 7 Dec 2019 07:24 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Money matters

Opening an account online with HSBC.

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

Opening an account online with HSBC.

Postby DaveT » Wed 16 Apr 2014 10:36 GMT

Hi everyone,

I went to the HSBC this morning (Haz-Zebbug) to find out if the account I held there was still active and was told that it was closed now (probably due to inactivity). The very nice lady told me I would have to go to the Sliema branch to open a new account.

When I got home I had a look at the HSBC website and filled in an application online in 5 minutes. This seems remarkably easy.

I got the message "Thank you for submitting your online application
We will be contacting you depending on the type of application submitted wherein you will be informed on the progress of your application.
" on the last screen, with "*Please note that additional documentation and information may be required." at the bottom of the page.

Has anyone else gone through this process? Would I have been better off going to the branch in Sliema?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
DaveT
Free member

Postby MikeLavin » Fri 12 Sep 2014 12:26 GMT

Sure you have resolved this by now but my general experience is that it tends to be more straightforward to open an account with BOV - if it is just simplicity that you are looking for
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
MikeLavin
Free member

Postby PeaCakes » Fri 12 Sep 2014 19:50 GMT

Best to go to the branch.....take absolutely every important
document, proof of residence, accommodation, utility bill and anything else.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
PeaCakes
Premium Member

Postby MikeLavin » Mon 15 Sep 2014 10:47 GMT

Agreed branch is easier, although book an appointment first otherwise you could be there forever!! If you have an ID card it really helps cut down on the paperwork too.
Posted by:
MikeLavin
Free member

Return to Money matters