It is currently Sun 23 Feb 2020 18:45 GMT
Change font size

Money matters

One more question about Banks

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

One more question about Banks

Postby euphony » Mon 6 Jul 2015 16:51 GMT

Hi again,

I've just thought of another question regarding banks. Some posts seem to say that you have to have your e-residence card before you can set an account up, but in another post someone had managed to set one up without one (with HSBC as they already had an HSBC account in the UK).
So is it just with HSBC that it's possible? Also is there any general advantage of banking with HSBC? I'd have to open one up in the UK first if that's the case!

Many thanks

Chris
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Re: One more question about Banks

Postby ozzy » Tue 7 Jul 2015 05:24 GMT

You must have the UK (HSBC) account for 6 Months to make life easier when opening a an account with Malta HSBC .... I opened one before i came here but didn't have it long enuff to use it as a reference to open the account here ... My other main UK bank made thing difficult for me to open the account here .. once the 6 months passed i used that account for a reference and had a bank account here in days ...
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby DavidH » Tue 7 Jul 2015 05:56 GMT

I don't know whether things have changed since I moved out which was nine years ago but I opened an HSBC account here on one of my trips before moving using NatWest in the UK as a reference. This was obviously before I got my ID card.
'Don't cry because it came to an end, smile because it happened.' - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Thank you for our lifetime together.....In loving memory of Chris Green
Posted by:
DavidH
Supporter

Postby FOXGLOVE » Tue 7 Jul 2015 06:24 GMT

euphony wrote:Hi again,

I've just thought of another question regarding banks. Some posts seem to say that you have to have your e-residence card before you can set an account up, but in another post someone had managed to set one up without one (with HSBC as they already had an HSBC account in the UK).
So is it just with HSBC that it's possible? Also is there any general advantage of banking with HSBC? I'd have to open one up in the UK first if that's the case!

Many thanks

Chris

We opened an account with Banif with just a passport and Maltese address, we gave them our ID number from the eResidence card when we received them, this was 2 1/2 years ago in Gozo.

Ray
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby euphony » Tue 7 Jul 2015 08:20 GMT

Thanks for the helpful replies, that gives me something to work with :)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Return to Money matters