It is currently Sat 7 Dec 2019 00:07 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Money matters

In a quandary over Maltese bank Account

No, really... it does!
But does it matter more in Malta than at home?

NO ADVERTISING - financial services adverts belong in our classifieds section. Get-rich-quick schemes belong in the trash.

In a quandary over Maltese bank Account

Postby euphony » Wed 13 Jan 2016 15:27 GMT

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a situation and not sure what to do now.
We started applying through the HSBC International banking centre (as we bank with them in the UK) to see about setting up bank accounts when we land in Gozo on the 19th February. It was sent through to Malta and from the HSBC Malta's correspondence, it seems that a) we have to have our Maltese ID number before we can open an account and b) If not plannning to work or study (so effectively can only apply via the 'retirement' option) have to show a rental contract for a minimum of 1 year.
The first issue is fine I guess, we just have to wait until we have our application sorted (despite how inconvenient this is), but the second issue was completely new to us as we were told that it was a 6 month contract required and back in October signed a contract for an apartment in Xaghra for 6 months.
So we now can't seem to open an account with HSBC, so can't transfer money over to Malta, which has all of a sudden caused a bit of stress as we have no idea what to do.
I wondered if any expats in Malta or Gozo knew of any way that we would be accepted for a bank account with only having an iniital 6 month contract. The reason we only have 6 month contract is because the owners of the apartment wouldn't sign for a year and just wanted 6 months with us paying in cash every month afterwards on an ongoing basis(obviously because they don't have to declare anything after 6 months!). As we were under the impression that we only need a contract for 6 months this never seemed an issue until now, and now we're a bit stuck as what to do.
Can anyone offer advise? (Other than 'tough luck' :P )
Many thanks

Chris
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Re: In a quandary over Maltese bank Account

Postby euphony » Wed 13 Jan 2016 15:29 GMT

Well, not 'don't have to', they should of course, but we all know they won't declare it ;)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Wed 13 Jan 2016 16:34 GMT

Also, on the theme of applying for said bank accounts, I notice that they seem to want a Tax Registration Number. Is this something we need to get, even though we won't be transferring enough into a Malta account to pay tax? If we do have to still have a tax registration number, do we simply walk into the Inland revenue office in Victoria and ask for one?
Are they going to ask for our residency ID's too before we can get that? Or something else entirely?

:brickwall: :lol:
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby ozzy » Thu 14 Jan 2016 08:50 GMT

You have to file a tax return every year even if it is foe zero income, so you will need to register with the tax office, i did it by post 2 years ago but hings do change
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby euphony » Thu 14 Jan 2016 08:52 GMT

Thanks Ozzy. What information do they need at the tax office when we go in? Name and address only?
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby ozzy » Thu 14 Jan 2016 09:11 GMT

Probably will need your ID and Lease contract ... can't remember what was needed for sure but there is a tax office in Victoria and they are very help-full they will even fill in your tax return for you
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby euphony » Thu 14 Jan 2016 10:22 GMT

Ok, thanks Ozzy,that's very helpful. I'll enquire first to check as we've got to apply for RHA cover before we can apply for the ID..I can see this is going to take a while! :lol:
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Thu 21 Jan 2016 07:48 GMT

no, it wont take long :-)

apply for RHA, you will be given a receipt for which you can then aaply for eResidence card (proper name for ID card for foreighers)on the same day
go to tax office, and they will issue you a tax number - they want you to pay tax, so will be helpful :-)you dont need to own or rent property to be liable to tax, so shouldnt need anything other than passport
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 21 Jan 2016 08:21 GMT

on banks, try Banif Bank, they seem to be much less strict. However, I would add if you go in to a bank in person, you can get different criteria each time - there seems to be no strict list of thinngs required, more like reaching a threashold of acceptability
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby euphony » Thu 21 Jan 2016 08:49 GMT

Thanks Mark,

I've been in touch with Bank of Valetta and they gentleman in the Xaghra branch is looking into setting up accoutns for us and said he doesn't need the residence ID or a rental agreement. The trick now is going to be making sure the inter-bank references work as when I enquired with santander in the UK, they'd never heard of such a thing and seemed to have no idea what I was talking about (All I asked for was an address and a contact name for the Managaer at BOV to be able to contact them for a bankers reference, but it was not possible apparantly ?!?!?!?).
Regarding the RHA, the form looks like it has to go to the main Hospital on the Malta itself, so we'll be sending them off as soon as we have our copy passports 'authenticated'. I'm guessing it will take substantially longer if done by post.
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Thu 21 Jan 2016 09:05 GMT

RHA - if you apply in person you are given a temporary certificate on the spot, then sent the real thing a few weeks later. If you apply by post I dont know if they send you the temporary one, and if they do how quickly

reference - I was and still am with Santander in the UK - the problem is you were speaking to the wrong department, so they didnt know what you were talking about - you need to speak to someone in the overseas depatment - they do references, but due to data protection, the info they put in a reference is very limited
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby euphony » Thu 21 Jan 2016 09:19 GMT

ah, I asked to speak to someone who would know and got absolutely nowhere. it must have been the particular customer service rep I spoke to (although she kept putting me on hold numerous times to speak to another department, which i assumed was the overseas department, but perhaps not). I may contact them again after BOV get get back to me.

It's possibly looking like a trip over to Malta mainland is on the cards then a week or so after we land. I'll check the new bus routes and see what takes us to the hospital :)
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Thu 21 Jan 2016 09:30 GMT

easiest way is probably bus to Valletta and get off just before the Marble Arch type structure - then a 5-10 mins walk - that what I did
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby euphony » Thu 21 Jan 2016 12:01 GMT

Cheers Mark, I will look at a map and plan a route :D
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Postby euphony » Thu 21 Jan 2016 12:37 GMT

What bus number is that? they've changed the timetable links and stuff again and I'm a little confused by it all :lol:
Posted by:
euphony
Premium Member

Next

Return to Money matters