It is currently Wed 21 Aug 2019 18:07 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo

Ex service war pension

Many of our members are pensioners, so here's a place to discuss the relevant issues.

Ex service war pension

Postby fleetray » Wed 7 Jun 2006 15:06 GMT

I am an ex serviceman who is considering retiring to Malta next year with my wife. I have been reading the forums trying to get my head around all the financial ramifications. I receive a war pension in the U K which is paid into my bank and not subject to tax (I think it's classed as a benifit). If this formed part of my annual remmitance, should we move, would this then be liable to Maltese tax, or would they also class it as a benifit?

Any ex serviceman living in Malta in the same circumstances?
Posted by:
fleetray

pensions

Postby maltesefillytobe » Mon 21 Aug 2006 18:40 GMT

hi
I am also in your position on war pension anybody out there who can help us two ???? with this information..???
Posted by:
maltesefillytobe

War pension

Postby Marg1412 » Thu 24 Aug 2006 11:03 GMT

Hi there
My husband also receives a war pension from the Veterans Agency. I'm afraid that I don't have an answer to your question yet but am also wondering what the position is. We are hoping to travel to Malta end September/beginning October for about 6 months to 'try' it and also try and find out what we can from the authorities while we are there. Currently living in Spain.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Marg1412
Free member

Postby Marg1412 » Wed 8 Nov 2006 16:06 GMT

Hi
We are currently in Malta and will definitely be coming back here to live as soon as we have sold up in Spain (when we return in March). As far as I can see from the various posts re residency & tax implications, if the war pension is paid into a Uk bank account and maybe brought over to Malta after the 1st January the following year when it is classed as capital you will not be taxed on it anyway. (Unless I have missed something). That's what my husband and I will do as it seems that it is only money that is actually brought in here and converted as and when received in a tax year that is taxable. Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong with this. Hope that this makes some sense.
Margaret
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Marg1412
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 9 Nov 2006 07:16 GMT

Hi Margaret

you are 100% correct !
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby flyaway » Mon 16 Apr 2007 17:22 GMT

Fleetray,

I'm in a similar position to yourself - is there an update on this topic??

Thanks
Posted by:
flyaway
Free member

Return to British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo