It is currently Mon 22 Jul 2019 03:12 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo

British evacuees WW2

Many of our members are pensioners, so here's a place to discuss the relevant issues.

British evacuees WW2

Postby rocket7697 » Sat 12 May 2007 06:28 GMT

Hello all

Im trying to get information on the evacuation of british civilians during WW2. Keen to know what route was taken, which vessels were used and ultimately a passenger list.
Did anyone on this board serve in Malta, or leave Malta as part of this evacuation? Im trying to determine whether my Aunt left Malta under these circumstances.
Cheers
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
rocket7697
Free member

Too late?

Postby AlisonAlison » Wed 21 Sep 2011 07:19 GMT

Hi
I just came across your post and noticed you posted it 4 years ago. Just wondering if you got the information you required or not?

Alison :-)
Posted by:
AlisonAlison

Postby rocket7697 » Thu 22 Sep 2011 14:49 GMT

Hello,
No I didnt. It seems to have been lost in the mists of time. I got a ' sort of' , ' possibly' type response from someone several years ago but Ive never been able to get an accurate picture.
Its a pity..my very elderly father wants to know what happened to his sister before he shuffles off etc etc
Regards
David
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
rocket7697
Free member

Postby pumabob » Thu 22 Sep 2011 21:46 GMT

Wasn't around 4 years ago, but could try to help out now :D

Was your aunt British, (as in UK born), or was she Maltese when evacuated to Australia?

I know a few local historians and Maltese living in Australia who might know where to find the info you're after.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby rocket7697 » Fri 23 Sep 2011 13:29 GMT

hello
Well very kind of you..but...we have relatives in Malta who are ' not able' to recall the details. I think she was born in UK. She married a British soldier who was stationed then in Malta when? She gave birth to a daughter in Mossel Bay , South AFrica 1943. How she got there and why is a mystery
Posted by:
rocket7697
Free member

Postby pumabob » Sat 24 Sep 2011 10:21 GMT

Obviously there were lots of soldiers stationed in Malta during WW2, especially during the siege years 1941-42. Following the defeat of the Axis powers in North Africa and the subsequent Allied landings in Sicily & Italy the war moved away from Malta.

This would have left 'spare' troops in Malta so it's possible her husband's regiment was redeployed to South Africa around 1942-43, which is one possible explanation of how she gave birth to a daughter there.

Without some more specific details of the soldier (husband) or your aunt, i.e. names, army regiment, etc, I wouldn't be able to research much further at this end.

(As an example another friend on Facebook asked about a great uncle, UK born, soldier, who married a Maltese girl in the late 1800's. By supplying both names we were able to locate the date, place of marriage in Malta, where they subsequently lived and details of 2 sons)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby rocket7697 » Sat 24 Sep 2011 10:45 GMT

Hello, Well her name was Frances Alice Whitehurst, her husband was William Thomas Whitehurst . In 1952 on the copy of her death certificate he was a Sergeant, 4123710.
Frances died at his hands in April 1952 in Nairobi. My father has been denied access to any court details etc of the trial. As he is rather elderly and frail now he is wanting any information on her last years. At the time of her movements Malta- RSA Dad was a Royal Marine Band Boy.
Appreciate any light you might shed. Ive tried getting passenger lists but all very involved!
Thanks
David
Posted by:
rocket7697
Free member

Postby pumabob » Sat 24 Sep 2011 14:59 GMT

From Kenya Gazette, dated 29th July 1952...

In Her Majesty's Court of Appeal for East Africa at Nairobi.
Thursday, 31st July, 1952 at 10.30am
For Hearing...
Cr A No. 112/52 Regina V William Thomas Whitehurst.

Sounds like he was appealing the sentence for killing Frances.
Will keep looking to see if there's anything for April - July 1952, plus I will search for any Malta info on William and Frances.

Do you know which Regiment William served with in Malta?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Sat 24 Sep 2011 15:28 GMT

Have found elsewhere that William served with the Cheshire Regt.

Perhaps you could search for information here too...
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... efault.htm
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sat 24 Sep 2011 19:06 GMT

Good work, Bob!
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby rocket7697 » Sat 24 Sep 2011 21:28 GMT

Hello and thanks..
Yes Frances' Death Certificate stated ' Cheshire' so I took that to be his regiment.
I tried getting in touch with the archives section of Nairobi/ Kenya newspapers but, well, not that easy. Id have thought this kind of crime would have been something of a ' scandal' in the white community.
To get details of the hearing and trial would finalise things for my Dad but he has been denied access even using FOI.
Thanks again
David
Posted by:
rocket7697
Free member

Postby pumabob » Sat 24 Sep 2011 22:20 GMT

Francis Alice Whitehurst, 25yrs, Service Dependent, died 4th April 1952 and is buried in the Forest Road Cemetery, Nairobi, Kenya, Section 16, Lot 120.

For photographs of the cemetery click here;
http://www.eamemorials.co.uk/EAMemorial ... metery.htm

As yet I can find no direct link to Frances & William in Malta, other than the Cheshire Regt were stationed here in 1941-42, then took part in the invasion of Sicily in 1943. Will keep looking.
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Return to British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo