It is currently Tue 16 Jul 2019 14:32 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo

Heating Allowance

Many of our members are pensioners, so here's a place to discuss the relevant issues.

Postby SandT » Thu 27 Jun 2013 07:39 GMT

We understood from Dave Dee's post in early March that the "new" conditions at that time allowed someone to claim even if they lived in an EU country and hadn't been receiving the state pension before leaving the UK - but it wasn't well advertised and you had to apply before 31st March. We read the website at that time and it did imply that this was the case as long as it was applied for before that date - which Terry did.

Terry met all that criteria and when the woman from the Department rang a few days after receiving it to check something, she told him that he was now eligible and would be receiving it.

We have now seen that the allowance is going to be removed completely in 2015 for Ex-Pats living abroad in countries that have warmer winters than the UK but that doesn't alter the fact that he supposedly became eligible for it this and next year. I guess that as it's going to be cut off in a couple of years they are no longer granting it from now.

The government website states that it was updated on 17 June 2013 and has now changed a couple of things re eligibility.

I can understand the government needing to cut back on "unnecessary" payments, no argument there, but it is just how Terry's application was handled that raises the eyebrows somewhat.

Sheelagh
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
SandT
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 27 Jun 2013 07:42 GMT

did they give a reason for rejection ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby SandT » Thu 27 Jun 2013 08:13 GMT

Terry is out at the moment and I don't know where he put the letter - or if he threw it away in frustration! - but I saw it and as far as I recall it simply said that his application had been refused because he didn't meet the criteria - it certainly didn't specify anything in particular.

He isn't going to make any sort of fuss about it (and I have been receiving mine because I qualified before we left the UK) but it is all rather ridiculous, not what we expect from UK Government departments.

Sheelagh
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
SandT
Supporter

Postby dave dee » Thu 27 Jun 2013 09:00 GMT

Is it possible that the allowance is restricted to one payment per household?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby SandT » Thu 27 Jun 2013 12:51 GMT

I'm sure we read that the second person of the household making a claim does qualify but that (in those circumstances) it was halved. However, Terry has washed his hands of looking further into it. More important things in life to be doing.

Sheelagh
Posted by:
SandT
Supporter

Previous

Return to British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo