It is currently Thu 21 Nov 2019 02:59 GMT
Change font size

British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo

UK Pensions/relocating prior to retirement age

Many of our members are pensioners, so here's a place to discuss the relevant issues.

UK Pensions/relocating prior to retirement age

Postby Akasha37 » Wed 30 Sep 2009 12:08 GMT

Hi

We have just spent a week looking around Gozo for suitable places to live, but one question that has arisen is if we move (we both a have a way to go before retirment), will we be able to claim our UK pensions and do we need to ensure we have enough NI contributions?

Leigh
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Akasha37
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 30 Sep 2009 13:34 GMT

Hi

I presume you mean your UK State Pension

As things currently stand :

You can claim your UK State Pension living in Malta, and the amount you will get will depend on the number of years you have made contributions. You can get an estimate of your pension from the following UK Government website

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/home.asp

pension estimate

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/sta ... t/home.asp

I believe any NI contributions (actually called SSI in Malta) you make in Malta while working in Malta top up your UK pension
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Wed 30 Sep 2009 13:42 GMT

do we need to ensure we have enough NI contributions? Do you mean min to get anything, or to get the max ?

taken from website above

Because men and women have different State Pension ages at the moment, the number of qualifying years for a full basic State Pension is currently different:

Women must normally have between 39 and 44 qualifying years to get a full basic State Pension, depending on the date they reach their State Pension age

Men must normally have 44 qualifying years to get a full basic State Pension

To get the minimum basic State Pension (25% of a full basic State Pension) you normally need 10 or 11 qualifying years, depending on your State Pension age. If you have fewer qualifying years than this, you will not normally get a basic State Pension
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby johnofessex » Wed 30 Sep 2009 17:19 GMT

Um, I'd hate to muddy the waters on a complex subject, but this page from the Pensions Service website - http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/pen ... rm/act.asp - seems to me to say that, following the Pensions Act 2007, 30 years of contributions will suffice for a basic state pension if you are retiring after 6 April 2010. This seems different from the provisions Mark quotes above (which I guess come from somewhere else on that site).

Perhaps this goes to show the wisdom of getting an authoritative personal forecast from the Pensions Service, who (hopefully) understand their own rules!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
johnofessex
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 30 Sep 2009 17:28 GMT

Thanks John - I believe the numbers I quoted were current ones, and they change next year. By the time many of us reach retirement age, both the age and the number of years contributions required will no doubt have changed again...

Possibly equally importantly, once you have the minimum, you are also then entitled to free health cover in Malta when you reach retirement age (this assumes Malta and UK are still in the EU by then, and that the EU still exists)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo