It is currently Fri 22 Nov 2019 18:51 GMT
Change font size

British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo

pensioners' benefits taken out of the UK

Many of our members are pensioners, so here's a place to discuss the relevant issues.

Postby Malkity » Sun 20 Feb 2011 14:27 GMT

:oops: Please explain what "winter top ups" are. As a person on a British pension but not lived there for a while, am I missing out?
Thanks. :roll:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Malkity
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sun 20 Feb 2011 15:58 GMT

If when you reach retirement age you are resident in the UK, you qualify for a winter top up. If you leave the UK, you still get it every year, but not if you are living overseas when you reach retirement age.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sun 20 Feb 2011 16:02 GMT

Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sun 20 Feb 2011 16:05 GMT

from the above link

If you have reached the qualifying age you may get a Winter Fuel Payment to help pay for keeping warm in winter. This can be between £125 and £400 depending on your situation. Find out if you are eligible for this payment and how to apply.

What is the Winter Fuel Payment?

It is a yearly tax free payment to help people pay for their heating in the winter. Getting the Winter Fuel Payment will not affect any other benefits you may get. This is different to Cold Weather Payments which you may get for each week of very cold weather in your area.

* Find out more about Cold Weather Payment

Are you eligible?

You may get a Winter Fuel Payment for winter 2010/11 if:

* you have reached the qualifying age (born on or before 5 July 1950)
* you normally live in Great Britain or Northern Ireland on any day in the week of 20–26 September 2010

You won’t qualify for a Winter Fuel Payment if, during the week of 20–26 September 2010:

* you were in hospital for more than 52 weeks previously, getting free treatment as an inpatient
* you were in custody serving a court sentence
* you were subject to immigration control and did not qualify for help from the Department for Work and Pensions
* you lived in a care home, an independent hospital or Ilford Park Polish Resettlement Home (and had done so for the previous 12 weeks or more) and you were on Pension Credit, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance

Once you have qualified for a Winter Fuel Payment, you may be able to continue to receive future payments if you move to another European Economic Area country.

How to apply

If you think you qualify for a Winter Fuel Payment, then you will need to apply. To apply you can:

* complete the claim form on screen or print it out and fill it in with black ink
* get a claim form sent to you by calling the Winter Fuel Payment Helpline on 0845 9 15 15 15

The completed forms need to be returned to:

Winter Fuel Payment Team
Department for Work and Pensions
Unit 16
Coalfield Way
Ashby de la Zouch
LE65 1JF

To claim for the 2010/11 payment The Pension Service need to have received the form on or before 30 March 2011. You can no longer get a Winter Fuel Payment for last winter.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Penury » Sun 20 Feb 2011 22:39 GMT

which is a good thing for UK pensioners carrying the winter fuel payment when they move to Malta.

To add, that if you are also in receipt of other allowance for pensioners such as the 'Attendance Allowance', it also goes with you indefinitely (for now at least) when a pensioner moves to Malta or another EEA state.

Unfortunately - 'carers allowance' only goes with you for a period of up to 26 weeks after you leave the UK to another EEA state

The UK government are so nice to their pensioners who leave to go to another warmer EEA state - aren't they!

Dont forget also - you wil get indexed pensions as well
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Mon 21 Feb 2011 05:27 GMT

Penury wrote:
The UK government are so nice to their pensioners who leave to go to another warmer EEA state - aren't they!

it wasn't by choice
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Malkity » Tue 22 Feb 2011 15:01 GMT

Thank you Mark and everyone. Very thorough!
A place for book readers, authors, writers, and anyone interested, to meet,share, and discuss.
http://bookread-mumswritings.blogspot.com
Posted by:
Malkity
Supporter

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Tue 22 Feb 2011 19:38 GMT

Penury: "To add, that if you are also in receipt of other allowance for pensioners such as the 'Attendance Allowance', it also goes with you indefinitely (for now at least) when a pensioner moves to Malta or another EEA state."

Also, you should also receive Disability Living Allowance, if you are entitled to it, although you will lose the mobility component (I have no idea why, it is completely mad; if anything, you need the mobility component more here than UK!!).
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby Penury » Tue 22 Feb 2011 21:41 GMT

indeed - its totally mad is the UK benefits system. I was trying to point out for those over 65 referencing Attendance Allowance, so I dont know whether DLA continues past 65 or it converts automatically to Attendance Allowance once someone reaches 65. From what I've read elsewhere it seems DLA is a tough one to get.

On DLA & mobility from the directgov UK website

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... G_10011731

"Who can get Disability Living Allowance?
You may get Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if:

you have a physical disability (including a sensory disability, such as blindness) or mental disability (including learning disabilities), or both your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else's safety, or you have walking difficulties, or both you are under 65 when you claim"
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Wed 23 Feb 2011 07:19 GMT

Mark, I would like to expand on the subject of pensioners' benefits taken out of the UK; can I continue in this thread, or should it go somewhere else?
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 23 Feb 2011 07:45 GMT

I've split out the posts from winter topups onwards into this thread, so please continue here :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Wed 23 Feb 2011 07:47 GMT

I will add something to the first post later on, listing what is covered in this thread
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Wed 23 Feb 2011 07:51 GMT

OK, thanks Mark.
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby Penury » Wed 23 Feb 2011 14:18 GMT

info in the link below may be helpful & Mark, if this is not the correct thread for this link - then please do move it

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/BritonsLivi ... DG_4000102
Posted by:
Penury
Supporter

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Wed 23 Feb 2011 15:57 GMT

I think I have just mistakenly removed myself from watching this link. Can anything be done to rectify this?
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Next

Return to British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo