It is currently Sat 19 Oct 2019 02:44 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five alliterative questions – Quick Quiz
    Here are five questions with a common theme - the key word in all of them begins "b*mb". Why not bimble through them and see how many you can get right?

British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo

English pensioners in Malta

Many of our members are pensioners, so here's a place to discuss the relevant issues.

Postby gozomark » Tue 2 Oct 2012 10:27 GMT

Its only available to those who qualify - from memory, if you qualify for a state pension, then you qualify for S1 - I think its a minimum of 10 years NIC gets you a part pension and an S1.

If you are resident in the UK then you get NHS for free whatever, as its based solely on residency.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Tue 2 Oct 2012 10:28 GMT

ps S1 is actually more than just for retirees - it combined all the old E106, E121 etc forms
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby IandM » Tue 2 Oct 2012 11:23 GMT

John 07900 - free in the sense that as a retiree you don't have to pay Maltese NIC's, or the equivalent, if you have paid the required number of NICs in the UK. What cover you get in Malta depends on the rules governing their NHS, not the UK NHS.

Dave Dee - To qualify you have to have paid the required number of NICs in the UK (offhand I don't know what this is). If you haven't paid the required number then you probably don't qualify. However, you can pay retrospective contributions (how retrospective depends on your age).

Here are two links which you may find useful - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/BritonsLivi ... DG_4000102
and http://london.angloinfo.com/information ... re-abroad/
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
IandM
Free member

Postby john07900 » Tue 2 Oct 2012 11:45 GMT

John 07900 - free in the sense that as a retiree you don't have to pay Maltese NIC's, or the equivalent, if you have paid the required number of NICs in the UK. What cover you get in Malta depends on the rules governing their NHS, not the UK NHS.

Are you asking me or telling me?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
john07900
Supporter

Postby dave dee » Tue 2 Oct 2012 12:16 GMT

Thanks, I paid plenty, just not sure if i want a lingering death to get my money's worth or a nice quick cheap one. :wink:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Previous

Return to British Pensioners in Malta/Gozo