It is currently Tue 26 Mar 2019 12:35 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 31 March.

State schools/education

Secondary Schools which study for GCSE and Matsec Exams

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

Postby Kay » Thu 12 Jul 2012 10:19 GMT

Kay, is this really a way of speaking to someone?

Yes. It's my way of speaking to tyre kickers who take up a lot of time because they're frightened of spending £5 (50% of which goes to Gozo SPCA). That's legit - half the money from this Malta forum really does go to Gozo SPCA. There have been people who prefer to pay direct to Gozo SPCA because they have bricks and mortar premises. It doesn't matter to us whether subscribers or buyers use our payment system or send their Dad round to Gozo SPCA with the cash. (It's happened.)

What I didn't know earlier, when I replied to you before, was that you had already dumped a link on here to your wife's Facebook page and tried to score a free advert that way too - as well as making multiple postings.

This is getting rather tiresome. We don't give free adverts on here. Is there any part of that which isn't clear?

You are right about the 'advertise' button at the top. It's intended more for corporate advertisers and it's misleading for anyone who just wants to post a small ad. I've asked Dave to remove it ASAP. So I apologise for our mistake. However, that still doesn't excuse your attempts to promote/advertise your wife's teaching services on here.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu 12 Jul 2012 10:23 GMT

165721 wrote:I can see in Small Ads there are regular ones, just in Business ads there isn't anything.

There are 12 adverts there currently. What page are you visiting where none are being displayed?

I've removed the Advertise button.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby 165721 » Thu 12 Jul 2012 10:34 GMT

Dave, I didn't mean none I meant none in the last year, as per my previous posting, sorry, so do you think I'd be allowed to post in small ads?

Kay. I can categorically tell you it is not a way of speaking to someone. I use a few fora but am finding out that they have very different rules. I am trying to make our lives bearable before having to make a decision to go back home due to a lack of basic stimulation after having worked for her whole life up to now. Again sorry for misunderstandings, but please tone down your sarcasm and insults, as I do not believe that I have reciprocated. Please allow me to continue to find things out from people who want to help - if they wish to help, which they seem happy to do.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Free member

Postby SteveGill » Thu 12 Jul 2012 11:45 GMT

165721 wrote:Kay. I can categorically tell you it is not a way of speaking to someone. I use a few fora...

Jack, if you really do use forums like you say, you'll know 99.9% of them have posting guidelines, like this one. Its the first point of call for any forum, to make sure you play by the forum rules.

Despite being experienced with forums, you either didn't bother to read that post or chose to ignore it. Because of this I don't think anything Kay has said is unfair.

I sympathise with your situation but ignoring the rules by posting an advert anyway is not the answer. I agree with Kay - make the decision based on the facts you already have whether you want to spend the money - the rest of us did :)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
SteveGill
Premium Member

Postby 165721 » Thu 12 Jul 2012 13:13 GMT

Hi,

Experienced...not really, just got a few posts on a couple of fora, and I haven't experienced such (any) such angry outbursts. In fact mostly people and admin are supportive and helpful.

I am not saying what Kay has said is unfair, I am saying personal insults and sarcasm as way of communicating is not a. very mature b. very helpful or c. necessary. As you will note others have made similar points in a mature, informative and helpful way, which has led to an increase in my understanding.

I now have the facts thanks to Dave and Gozomark, and I can make the decision, but the way in which this was handled by an administrator was at best unprofessional and at worst rude, and has somewhat coloured my view of what seemed like a decent portal for expats.

Thanks!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Free member

Postby Dave » Thu 12 Jul 2012 14:17 GMT

For what it's worth, I share Kay's irritation (I think it's a gross exaggeration to call it an outburst of anger).

Yes, we were at fault inasmuch as we had a confusing link at the top of the page. But, as SteveGill's pointed out, it's common courtesy when joining a forum to find out what the rules are and behave accordingly. It's also common sense to look around and find out as much information as you can from what's already available on the boards.

As it is, you've taken up quite a lot of three Site Admins' time for something which could have been resolved far more quickly if you'd taken a bit more time to find out how the place works. For the sake of £5 (yes, that's all three of us who've told you that now; and if you've read the blurb about advertising you'll understand that it's £5 for a Small Ad, £15 for a full advert), it's not really worth our while to spend so much time guiding people step by step through the process, or digging out statistical information that's already there. (In any case, would you ask a newsagent how many people read the notices in their window? The price we charge isn't too far off that. And to expect us to spend so much time to prepare traffic stats manually, for the sake of a £5 advert is rather unrealistic, to give it the most favourable gloss I can. Do you really place so little value on our time?)

You differentiate between your treatment at Kay's hands (which you characterise as rude) and the treatment you've received from the rest of us. I can't speak for Mark or Steve, of course. The difference between Kay and me is that she states her point of view bluntly, including when she's irritated. But that's her prerogative - she does own the place, after all. And in any case I don't see any personal insults in what she's written, and only a small amount of sarcasm.

On the subject of rudeness, if you'd read the guidelines (as everyone is asked to do before posting) you'd have known that we allow ordinary members to post outward links only to government or academic sites. And you'd already been told back in January that adverts have to be paid for. Yet you've come along and posted several adverts on your wife's behalf, including links, and still haven't offered an apology even after being taken to task for it, first by Mark and then by Kay. I call that rude.

Edit: I see that in fact you have apologised for not quite getting what we're doing here and for misunderstandings. A bit feeble, and a bit late, but I should acknowledge it.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby 165721 » Thu 12 Jul 2012 14:34 GMT

My final counter would be to say that indeed this could have over in a few short posts, a simple something along the lines of "please read the xxx and no we don't have such stats". Over.

This started because of an unfortunate attitude by one person to a genuine question which could have been answered, as I said , by a simple "that's not available" which came about because of a genuine clumsy and lazy mistake by me. The perpetuation of it is entirely down to the tone of voice/typing that was used!

I used to work in a shop when I was young, as did most of us, and if someone asked me find a different colour in any item whatever the price, saying "I can't be bothered" would have had me sacked on the spot.

And yes of course I would ask newsagent if anyone read the ads, if I am paying for a service I want to know if it is worth it whether I'm spending £1 or £1000. But if its free then why not.

Thank you.
Posted by:
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 12 Jul 2012 15:04 GMT

My final counter would be to say...

I hope it is your final counter. It's been a mildly amusing distraction to play with you but I've had enough now. Please go somewhere else to post links about your wife's FB page. I can't be bothered any more.

This started because of an unfortunate attitude by one person...

Yes, I completely agree. It all started off by the unfortunate attitude of one person who didn't bother to read the rules, dumped adverts for his wife's teaching service and then got huffy because his attempts at scoring a free advert weren't allowed. Thank heavens we agree on something.

I used to work in a shop when I was young, as did most of us, and if someone asked me find a different colour in any item whatever the price, saying "I can't be bothered" would have had me sacked on the spot.

Yes, I worked in a shop too when I was a kid and would have been sacked for such an answer. But this isn't a similar situation.

You made
a genuine clumsy and lazy mistake

and the company owner told you that they couldn't be bothered to deal with replying to it. Seriously, did you expect someone to dig out a load of traffic stats to reassure you it might be worth risking a fiver?

But if its free then why not.

Everything isn't free on here. But you are free to go elsewhere for your free information. Please do. I hope you have a nice time there. 8-)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby 165721 » Thu 12 Jul 2012 15:15 GMT

Please remove any posts I may have made, whether I was trying to help or not, from this forum. I wish you the best, but a company which doesn't cares so little about customers so as to initiate and perpetuate an argument. This is exactly the same as a shop, you are selling something, whether is a fiver or £25, you are selling a product. Au revior, and thanks for reminding me why I treat my customers with respect!
Posted by:
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 12 Jul 2012 15:25 GMT

No. I'm not going to remove your posts. You made these posts on a public forum and they will remain here for others to see. Why should I spend my time removing your posts which for some reason you now don't want others to see?

Maybe in the future someone might be looking for info about you and/or your wife, and this thread will be here for anyone to see.

BTW, I do care about "my customers" which is why we have so many satisfied members, and why I have to work at keeping the place clean and spam free. And not allowing people to dump adverts on us to promote some FB page. Our members don't like spam.

We are selling a service, and that includes providing a spam-free environment as well as offering information you won't find elsewhere.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby 165721 » Thu 12 Jul 2012 15:32 GMT

Indeed it will be here for anyone to see. And in fact seeing that the company owner will react so badly to a mistake will hopefully make people either 1. be super careful or 2. go elsewhere, so we have all achieved something, albeit at the cost of days proper work!
Posted by:
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 12 Jul 2012 15:45 GMT

Everyone makes mistakes. We all accept that. But making multiple postings and trying to score free adverts isn't "a mistake". And getting huffy when you're told not to do it isn't very clever either.

I see you've dumped exactly the same advert on other places. They probably won't like your spam any more than we do.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby 165721 » Thu 12 Jul 2012 15:59 GMT

I see, you thought my saying...

"OK, still just trying to see if there is interest before (potentially) throwing money away. Also, the site isn't accepting ads. Thanks..."

was huffy. It wasn't, it was meant to say what the words said, but its never possible on these things to hear a tone of voice (unless you make it very clear what you tone of voice is by your words). My initial consternation was at the first comment you made on the "huge sum of £5".

If there was interest in such a service and decent enough traffic to your classifieds, which at the start didnt look to be the case due to the Advetrising thing which we have cleared up, I was going to advertise to to get the (potential) coverage... I don't even know yet if its anything anyone wants, just trying to do some market research, but I guess going around it the way. Gozomark had previously said there was massive demand but after 6 months of trying classifieds and things this demand hasn't shown itself.

Anyway, thank you for the clarification, which could have ended several hours ago!
Posted by:
Free member

Postby SteveGill » Thu 12 Jul 2012 16:08 GMT

165721 wrote:Indeed it will be here for anyone to see. And in fact seeing that the company owner will react so badly to a mistake will hopefully make people either 1. be super careful or 2. go elsewhere, so we have all achieved something, albeit at the cost of days proper work!

Jack, you appear to be the kind of person that always wants the last word. I've not seen one person reply to this thread that agrees with you about Kay's response, whereas you have a few on this thread (including myself) that *do* agree with Kay.

You say it's a mistake but a few hours later you break the rules again on another thread? You're really not building much sympathy from the rest of us.

I think its a real shame you're acting like this as I can imagine it must be a nightmare for your wife having no job and getting very bored. But if you're looking to drum up business for her arguing with the website owners is never going to be the answer.

Looking back through the thread I personally think you've been extremely rude to Kay:

- 6/10/11 you ask if there will be demand for private tutoring. The answer you're given by Mark is yes.
- 19/1/12 you ask people to PM you if they're interested. At this point you've clearly not read the forum guidelines. Mark replies same day to say you can't use PMs unless you're a registered member (£25) or £5 for an advert. You decide to ask if anyone is interested to reply on the thread and then you'll consider membership. That's exactly the same as posting an advert in a newsagents window but only paying the newsagent if someone is interested :roll:
- 12/7/11 you post an advert. Despite the above!
- 12/7/11 Mark tells you *again* you need to pay for an advert.
- 12/7/11 Kay tells you test adverts are not allowed in a very fair post!

I'll not even bother with the rest because its clear to me from re-reading the above you've been extremely rude to the site owners and the community here, and are very clearly trying to abuse the system.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
SteveGill
Premium Member

Postby Byzantium » Thu 12 Jul 2012 16:55 GMT

I just read through all this and totally agree with what steve just put, I think all the admins, Kay in particular, have been very patient with this person, well done to you all.
Posted by:
Byzantium
Free member

Previous

Return to State schools/education