It is currently Sat 25 May 2019 01:52 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Iceland – Quick Quiz
    For such a small nation, Iceland has a lot of superlatives. How much do you know about this intriguing country on the north-western edge of Europe?

State schools/education

PRIVATE OR STATE SCHOOLS?

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

PRIVATE OR STATE SCHOOLS?

Postby karenmbrady » Sun 25 Apr 2010 07:57 GMT

I have read over and over again many of the posts regarding schooling and after each I seem to change my mind on whether private or state schooling is best! I have two girls, one aged 11 and one aged 4. I am more worried about the eldest as she was due to start secondary school here in Scotland.On looking at the cost of the private schools they seem quite expensive, but on the other hand I do not want to damage my child's education. I am after some advice PLEASE!!! Is there anyone out there with good experience of state schools in a nice area. My daughter is also very into swimming and this would also be important. I would be grateful for any up do date info anyone has? Thank you
Posted by:
karenmbrady

Postby pumabob » Sun 25 Apr 2010 12:42 GMT

Hi Karen,
Some people have done a lot more research on this subject than we have but this is basically what we found out.

State schools don't always teach all subjects in English. I was under the impression that they do! For example the history and geography exam papers are written in Maltese. Rather than take a chance with this we have decided to send our kids private. Personally, I think it's hard enough changing schools / country / friends without the extra stress of learning another language.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sun 25 Apr 2010 13:13 GMT

Hi Karen, and welcome to the form :D
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Eggs » Sun 25 Apr 2010 15:25 GMT

Yep pretty much what pumabob said, i cant put my son at 12 into a school where the primary language isn't english (i know he will learn but the stress of such a big upheaval is enough).

To be honest the private schooling is unbelieavably cheap by comparison to England, there is one cheaper school than the others if you are on a tight budget which is really nice and which is the one i have gone for.

Feel free to get in touch and will give details.
===================
Rob Marna Harry Zara :P
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby atoz34 » Thu 26 May 2011 09:04 GMT

Eggs - Could you let me know which is the private school that is cheaper as I am in the process of looking around for schools for this coming September too!

Many thanks in advance.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
atoz34
Free member

Postby Kow » Tue 31 May 2011 10:48 GMT

We arrived a month ago and both of our children have been in school for the last week and a half.
I looked at all the private schools and San Anton was the one that appealed to me AND my children. However, when we failed to sell our house in the uk and rented it out instead this made us look closer at the state schools. To cut a very long story short, my son who is 9 has started at Marsascala primary and my daughter who is 12 is at St Margarets secondary and is sitting the test in a few weeks to hopefully transfer to Junior Lyceum, Zejtun in September.
Both of them were nervous at starting (which would have been the same whether state or private), but the Heads and staff were absolutely wonderful at putting them at ease and Tayler was welcomed on his first day with a present and card, welcome cakes and banner !
They are taught all the subjects in English apart from maltese and religon. They do extra english or maths in these lessons but when they are ready they can participate if they want to.
Tayler is already telling me the name of some animals in maltese so he is interested in learning.
I am not saying that state schools would suit all children, and maybe I have been lucky and it is early days. Quite a few english and other foreign children are attending so my kids aren't the minority .
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Kow
Supporter

Postby loveday » Thu 9 Jun 2011 10:15 GMT

Hi we've just come back from our latest holilday/organising trip in Gozo. We contacted the state primary school in Vajringa Street, Victoria before we went and made an appointment to look around. they were absolutely fantastic with us.

Our daughter is 5 1/2. The headmistress showed us around and answered all our questions. She set our minds at rest about the Maltese/English thing - they do have various "foreign" students already (not just British) and have procedures in place for helping them settle in and learn the language. The classes seemed to have only about 15 or 20 kids in them and they have the teacher plus a teaching assistant, so its a really good teacher:student ratio anyway. They also advised getting our child to join the local church "catechism" clubs after school (like our sunday school I imagine) as they do lots of different activites and its a good way for the children to mix and learn more of the lingo. (obvioulsy only OK for parents who are not too bothered about the catholic brainwashing!!)

I cannot praise them enough. While we were there they offered for our daughter to come and spend a couple of hours (it was 3 hours in the end) one morning at the school by herself to start to make friends. She did this and had a very enjoyable time.

We have no doubts that while we do expect some tears from time to time that our daughter will pick up the language and make friends quickly. (after all, the local children do start to learn English at school from the age of 6, so she can help them with that and they can help her with the Maltese)

I am so thrilled - her happiness was my biggest misgiving about our mad plan to relocate to Gozo, so all the boxes are now getting ticked!
Posted by:
loveday
Supporter

Postby mammamia » Tue 4 Oct 2011 13:27 GMT

Kow - could you tell more about Marsascala primary..how are teh teachers and so on... I would greatly appreaciate your feedback..:) or maybe you care to meet for a chat over coffe?:))
Posted by:
mammamia

Postby Yasmin » Thu 26 Sep 2013 10:10 GMT

Were you able to entol them easily? Do u have the ecard?
Tnx
Posted by:
Yasmin

Postby Yasmin » Thu 26 Sep 2013 10:12 GMT

Enrol***
Posted by:
Yasmin

Private schooling in Malta

Postby svc1406 » Thu 17 Oct 2013 17:43 GMT

I am also in the process of trying to decide which schooling to chose for my Daughter, who is now 13. These next few years are the most vital, and I don't want to take a chance on her education.
If you could let me know the name of the private school you have referred to, I could at least use this as a possibility, when trying to select one.
Thank you in advance.
:?
Posted by:
svc1406

Postby gozomark » Thu 17 Oct 2013 17:46 GMT

Hi svc and welcome to the forum :-) I can't work out who your question is posed to
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to State schools/education