It is currently Mon 20 May 2019 06:55 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Iceland – Quick Quiz
    For such a small nation, Iceland has a lot of superlatives. How much do you know about this intriguing country on the north-western edge of Europe?

State schools/education

mature student entry requirements

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

mature student entry requirements

Postby stevey1608 » Mon 10 Jan 2011 19:50 GMT

hi, my names steve i am british and i am new to this forum so im hoping someone can answer my question(s), which are , as a family we are hoping to make the move to malta shortly , myself and my wife and my son who is 23, can any one tell me whether my son needs to already have two or more 'A' levels from britain to enter malta university or is there somewhere he can get a Matriculation Certificate once we have moved over there , or is this Matriculation certificate something that can only be got via maltese schooling, i understand that the university study will be free, is this right ?, thanks in advance for any help given.
Posted by:
stevey1608

Postby gozomark » Mon 10 Jan 2011 20:36 GMT

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum :-)

sorry, not got a clue on answers to your questions, but hopefully someone else on the forum will - if not, I seem to remember the Malta University website has a fair bit of info for foreign students
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Boreas » Wed 19 Jan 2011 22:18 GMT

Hi Steve, I'm hoping to attend the University next year as a mature student too.

There are no fees for EU citizens and as far as I know A levels are acceptable for entry.

See extracts below from http://www.um.edu.mt/sas/admissions

*Overseas Applicants: Normally qualifications that give access to education in the country of origin are favourably considered as long as it is ascertained that they are of comparable standard to the General Entry Requirements of the University of Malta. In some instances, applicants may be advised to follow a one year Foundation Studies Course. Maltese is not a requisite for overseas applicants."

Entry as a Mature Student

The University considers applications from mature candidates, that is, persons who would be at least 23 years of age by the 1st October of the year or by the beginning of the course for which they apply.

Mature applicants may not necessarily be required to present the formal qualifications listed above. However, they may be accepted on the basis of a wide variety of acquirements. The Admissions Board, acting on the advice of a faculty admissions committee, assesses mature candidates in order to ascertain whether they possess the necessary academic background to follow the proposed course with profit.

It is important that mature candidates contact the University in order to discuss the acceptability of their current qualifications (including relevant experience), and to seek early advice about how to meet any additional requirements for a particular course.
Posted by:
Boreas

Return to State schools/education