It is currently Sun 24 Mar 2019 17:18 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Lá Fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh!
    Kay and Dave would like to wish all our readers with Irish connections a very happy St Patrick's Day!

State schools/education

Couple of questions about primary schools...

Here's the place to discuss schools in the state system. Private schools are commercially operated businesses just like any other, so they're included with all the other premium content. Any posts here about non-state schools will be removed.

Couple of questions about primary schools...

Postby kathryn1234 » Mon 17 Jun 2013 10:35 GMT

Hi.

We are hoping to move from the UK to Malta at the end of October.
My little boy turns 2 next March. I just wanted to check if what I've found so far on the Internet etc is correct and if there is anything else I may need to know that I'm missing...

Do Children start school from 3 in Malta? If correct that seems to be the same as the UK, if staying in the UK he would go for 5x mornings a week at 3yrs old. Is it the same in Malta? What are the school day hours?

For financial reasons it is unlikely we would be opting for private schools. Am I correct in thinking that most schools will accommodate lessons in English?

Due to work we would be living in the Bugibba, Qawra, St Paul's area initially. I have done a few online searches and come across St Paul's Primary. Does anyone have any experience with this school?

Also is there a genral government website that will list all the schools in that area so I could read up online?

I know it's still a while until he will be starting but I'm just curious to know what the schools are like.

Thanks in advance for any replies :D

I'm sure I will have many many more questions as the time to move draws closer. It's one thing moving to a different country but to do this with a little baby as well it adds a whole different stress to the matter doesn't it!

Kathryn
Posted by:
kathryn1234

Postby Cuauhtli » Wed 19 Jun 2013 11:35 GMT

School is mandatory from the age of 5. Many parents send their kids to Kindergarten (I & II) from the age of 3 (or even earlier).

School hours are from around 8:00/8:30 to 12:30/13:30

Not sure on how much is taught in English in state schools. It will depend a lot on the school and how many kids are non-maltese in the classes. You should have an advantage from your location since there are a lot of foreigners in that area. I have no idea about St Pauls but we've heard that Santa Clara in Pembroke is quite good (if you're prepared to do the drive down).

For a list of schools a good start is Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_in_Malta
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Cuauhtli
Premium Member

Postby kathryn1234 » Wed 19 Jun 2013 13:58 GMT

Thanks for your reply. I will take a look at Wikipedia and the school in Pembroke you mentioned.
Yeah it shouldn't be a problem driving to a school.
I'm not sure how long we will stay in that area but I know it could be a minimum of about a year so thought I better see whats available close by just in case!
Posted by:
kathryn1234

Return to State schools/education