It is currently Sun 29 Nov 2020 09:11 GMT
Change font size

Getting around on Malta and Gozo

Gozo discovery bus

Info on buses, taxis, and other means of getting around.

Gozo discovery bus

Postby gozomark » Thu 17 Jul 2008 11:32 GMT

I've cut and pasted this from the Independent

Gozo discovery bus -A service by a Discovery Bus is being introduced in Gozo, visiting places of interest. The service will be available as from Monday 21st July and is being run for a trial period of three weeks. A bus leaves Sabina Square in Victoria every two hours starting at 9.30am along a route taking in Victoria, Mgarr Harbour, Nadur, Ramla Bay, Ggantija Temples, Marsalforn Bay, Ta’ Pinu Sanctuary, the Dwejra Inland Sea, ta’ Dbiegi crafts village, Xlendi Bay and back to Victoria. Buses will be identified by a sign on the front and rear of the bus with the name “Gozo Discovery Bus”. Flyers with information on the Gozo Discovery Bus and schedule are available in hotels, on the Gozo ferry and in other places frequented by tourists in Malta and Gozo. The service, available to tourists and residents, forms part of an EU project aimed to create a standard for sustainable tourism in the Mediterranean. The project is funded by the EU as part of the Interreg III B Archimed Programme http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=72385
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Thu 17 Jul 2008 16:02 GMT

Sounds good , have seen a few of these old london double decker sightseeing buses touring north and south Malta in recent years, Never seems to be many passengers but a great idea.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 17 Jul 2008 16:05 GMT

given that tours of Gozo are probably the main source of income for Gozo taxis, I hope we don't get a repeat of what's going on in Malta.......
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Thu 17 Jul 2008 16:32 GMT

true Mark, but competition is good for the pocket.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 17 Jul 2008 16:39 GMT

good for your and my pocket, but not for the (overpriced) taxi driver's pocket :D

I also think its a great idea, but I'd like to see how its operated - I'm guessing its one bus, so it would cover all these locations in 2 hours - thats 10-odd locations - assuming a cumulative travelling time of 1 hour, that leaves only 5 minutes stopping time per place. Maybe the idea is to just give someone a taste of Gozo. I can't find any details, but will try and find one of the leaflets about it
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Kriss » Thu 17 Jul 2008 19:29 GMT

yet another frantic bus journey. why do we insist on making believe that they can see Gozo in 2 hours.

It's a bit like a Victorian Grand Tour in a weekend.

Ok, yes it's great for day trippers but is Gozo really a day trip. Hopefully the message will be spread that this is a taster and that folks should return and spend longer on Gozo on their next trip.
Chris :compucoffee:
Join the British Expat lending team at Kiva: http://www.kiva.org/team/britishexpatcom
Posted by:
Mr Kriss
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 17 Jul 2008 19:36 GMT

Chris - agree with you 100% - I'm amazed the number of people who fall in love with Gozo based on a day trip, as you don't see the real Gozo rushing around on a coach for two hours , but by sitting for a couple of hours and watching the world go round
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Thu 17 Jul 2008 19:48 GMT

I assumed that the Maltese tour bus was on a constant loop and treated on a hop on, hop off basis with the purchase of a daily ticket.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 17 Jul 2008 20:00 GMT

I believe you are right, and would hope the Gozo one would be the same, but if its one bus every two hours then someone would have to be fairly sure of the stops they wanted (and also be very wary of missing a bus !). Hopefully this takes off, and they use 3-4 buses, so there would be a bus every 30-40 minutes
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Discovery Bus popular with tourists

Postby gozomark » Sun 3 Aug 2008 08:09 GMT

Discovery Bus popular with tourists

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi ... h-tourists

A Discovery Bus service, which was introduced in Gozo for a trial period of three weeks as part of Interreg programmes, is proving to be popular with tourists. The aim of the project, which is an EU-funded programme that helps Europe's regions form partnerships to work together on common projects, is to create a standard for sustainable tourism in the Mediterranean.

Project manager Maryrose Vella said the purpose of the service, which has long been debated by the Gozo Tourism Association, is to enable tourists to visit sites of major interest in Gozo that cannot easily be reached by public transport.

The service, in the form of a hop-on hop-off system, is free of charge during this trial period, but it is being proposed that in the future it will operate at a modest fee.

The buses leave Victoria from Sabina Square every two hours at 9.30 a.m. with the last trip leaving at 5.30 p.m. Commuters can stop at any destination. There is a short stay at each destination where tourists can just go down and take pictures. The trial period ends on Wednesday.

The other participating countries in the project are Italy, Cyprus, and Greece.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Mr Kriss » Sun 3 Aug 2008 09:46 GMT

I have no idea how this qualified for Interreg funding but well done whoever got away with it.
Chris :compucoffee:
Join the British Expat lending team at Kiva: http://www.kiva.org/team/britishexpatcom
Posted by:
Mr Kriss
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 2 Feb 2010 10:15 GMT

I've spotted the bus around Gozo a couple of times in the last few days, so is either running again as before, or been bought by one of the bus operators without changing the signage
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Getting around on Malta and Gozo