It is currently Fri 27 Nov 2020 08:52 GMT
Change font size

Getting around on Malta and Gozo

Bus Services

Info on buses, taxis, and other means of getting around.

Bus Services

Postby AJB » Thu 7 Aug 2008 11:08 GMT

Hi.
How are the bus services on Malta? Haven't used one on my holidays there and when moving over next month we'd like to be able to avoid a car,
Is the bus service reliable, frequent (and crucially punctual) enough to use to travel a few miles to and from work each day and not be frequently late?

Have looked for schedules but can only find night bus from St Julians and Sliema to Gzira Ta xbiex - anyone know where I could find a schedule online?

Thanks a lot
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
AJB
Supporter

Postby AJB » Thu 7 Aug 2008 11:40 GMT

I see GozoMark has already answered my bus schedule questions elsewhere in the forum - here it is for people following me.

bus map

http://www.atp.com.mt/atp/UserFiles/Image/map.jpg

bus timetables

http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... hp?t=20564

Thanks!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
AJB
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 7 Aug 2008 12:51 GMT

Hi AJB, and welcome to the forum !

Is the bus service reliable, frequent (and crucially punctual) enough to use to travel a few miles to and from work each day and not be frequently late? It depends on the route, but from what I've heard generally a good service on most routes. However, if you are not starting a journey at the beginning of the line the bus might be full when it reaches your stop.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

bus detailed map

Postby doc » Sat 30 May 2009 18:51 GMT

Hi

I am trying to chose somewhere to live that allows my daughter to catch a bus to the school (as she is doing A-levels she has flexi-time so the scheduled school bus is not so good.)

I got one of the bus timetable / map leaflets and it is the same as the pdf on the adp web site and really quite vague. I mean the map shows routes more stylistically and you cant tell where the actual route is +- 500m!

So has anyone found a better route map that shows accurately where bus stops are or the actual street address (road name, number) of the bus stops, or GPS coordinates or mapped those onto google maps etc.

I am trying eg to figure out if there is a bus from sliema to somewhere relatively close to st martins 6th form college in swatar/msida ( Swatar Road, Swatar, Msida). Now the bus time-table says

(start symbol) 667 st andrews - paceville - spinola - tugulio - sliema - gzira - msida circuis - regional road - msida - valletta 08:05 - 07:40

so multiple problems - typos? they might mean 08:05 to 19:40, and no mention of how frequently it runs. and "msida" is an area covering what 1km square so where are the bus stops?

and I guess there are two 667 routes, heres the other one:

(start symbol) 667 st andrews - paceville - spinola - tugulio - regional road - roundabout university - msida - valletta 06:35, 07:35, 09:05, 19:40

so maybe thats a special route at those times only.

-doc
Posted by:
doc
Supporter

Postby peterj » Sat 30 May 2009 19:37 GMT

Have you had a look at the RMF Streetmaps? They have the bus numbers marked alongside the roads, but I'm not sure if they mark stops. Stops are pretty frequent though, if the route is OK for you.

http://www.rmfmalta.com/pages/onlinemaps.htm?maprequest=malta

Looking at the maps, it looks to me that the 169 goes more or less past the school, but from Sliema that would mean changing buses (possibly around the Msida Marina would be easiest, as most of the Sliema buses run along the sea front from memory, and most of the Valletta buses do so as well.) As well as the 169, there are a number of other routes that go past the Mater Dei Hospital, which isn't that far from the school. Although not shown on the RMF map, the 675 goes from Sliema to the Hospital I think, and runs quite frequently.

The 667 route looks to be about 400m away as the crow flies, but possibly a much longer walk.

If you click on a route on the ATP link, it brings up a timetable. Not many daytime on 667 as far as I can see, I'm afraid.

Can't the school help with info?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
peterj
Free member

Postby doc » Sat 30 May 2009 21:28 GMT

Hi thanks for the pointer to RMF maps that looks useful.

I did try walking from the hospital to the school and that should only take 10mins walk and doesnt involve playing frogger across the dual carriage way during rush hour like I saw some university students trying! (There is an underpass)

675 looks nice in that it goes from somewhere in Sliema direct. Do you think it follows the coast around Sliema? btw according to my ADP timetable/map 675 runs every hour.

-doc
Posted by:
doc
Supporter

Postby peterj » Sat 30 May 2009 22:05 GMT

I can't vouch for it personally, but this might help out

http://www.sliema-malta.com/news_176.html

675 route - St. Andrews, St. Julians, Tower Road, Strand, Gzira, Tal-Qroqq Roundabout, Bypass, Mater Dei
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
peterj
Free member

Return to Getting around on Malta and Gozo