It is currently Sun 29 Nov 2020 07:40 GMT
Change font size

Getting around on Malta and Gozo

Early finishing times of buses

Info on buses, taxis, and other means of getting around.

Early finishing times of buses

Postby Nedster » Thu 4 Sep 2008 15:27 GMT

What with the general level of road congestion, and the relative high cost of purchasing a car in Malta, has there ever been any sort of official debate into running the buses later on in the day.

It would seem to me, that the reason a lot of people run cars is that come 8:30pm (ish) the general bus routes close down and the only option is to use a private vehicle.

Presumably there would be a resistance to this from the hire-car and taxi companies.

Any views / info?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Nedster
Free member

Postby Kraut ;-) » Wed 10 Jun 2009 18:32 GMT

I am arriving this Friday at 17:55 at Malta International Airport.

The socalled Airport to Hotel Shuttle will only take 4 persons to the Downtown Hotel in Victoria. It is not possible to book for 1 person!

Clever Kraut ;-) thought no problem: I will take the bus. But there is a problem: The last bus towards Victoria will leave Mgarr at 20:00 and I will arrve at 20:30 or 21:30 in Mgarr.

My timetable:
Arrival at MIA at 17:55
Take the bus number 8 towards Valetta at 18:20
Arrival in Valetta at 18:50
Take the bus number 45 towards Cirkewwa at 19:00
Arrival at the ferry Terminal at around 20:00
Take the ferry at 20:00 or 21:30. Depends on arrival at the Ferry Terminal
Arrival in Mgarr at 20:30 or 22:00

The socalled Airport to Hotel Shuttle would depart at the airport at 18:45. I don't think that it will be sooner at the ferry terminal than bus number 8.

Is there still a taxi availabe in Mgarr at 20:30 or 22:00?
Is it possible and is it cheaper to book a taxi in advance?

Thanks.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby JJ » Thu 11 Jun 2009 10:10 GMT

Strongly advise booking in advance, not just to ensure availability (is Friday evening a peak time like it is in UK?) but to get a sensible price. I pay €10 from Mġarr to Għarb but a white cab charges €8 just from Victoria to Għarb.

We'd be interested to hear how smoothly your bus connections work.

Shame your flight doesn't get in two hours earlier or we could share. :(
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby gozomark » Thu 11 Jun 2009 10:47 GMT

Other than the eve of a public holiday, Friday evening is the busiest time to go to Gozo (Sunday eve being the busiest in the other direction) - don't be surprised if the bus is held up in traffic - an hour Valletta to Cirkewwa on a Friday eve is being very optimistic - could easily take 2 hours. In fact, expect the journey to Valletta to take longer than normal as well - it would also be a struggle to get on the bus just 25 minutes after the plane landed, but not impossible.

There is a direct bus service from the airport to Cirkewwa - details, and people's experience of the service are on the "recommended suppliers" forum
http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... =suppliers
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kraut ;-) » Thu 11 Jun 2009 17:28 GMT

Thank you both.

I will do the adventure with the yellow buses.
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Thu 11 Jun 2009 18:28 GMT

what time is the last bus to Cirkewwa from Valletta ? That's what would concern me with your plans
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Thu 11 Jun 2009 18:34 GMT

http://www.atp.com.mt/atp/servlet/Contr ... RouteId=71

45 19.00 19.30 19.50 20.40

so should be fine :D

if you don't book a taxi, or it doesn't turn up, just pop into Gleneagles Bar, and Tony or Sammy behind the bar will help you out - just say Mark and Ako from Sannat sent you
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Thu 11 Jun 2009 23:54 GMT

And you'll be in Victoria at the perfect time for a beer, and there's a proposal of a meet in another topic.

You can find free WiFi at several bars around Piazza Independence incidentally (no names, no pack drill).
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Kraut ;-) » Sun 14 Jun 2009 12:33 GMT

Thank you an hello mark an JJ,

I am still alive.

My story:
Ryanair was about 10 minutes late thanks to Ryanair staff in Pisa. I took a flight from Memmingen (between Stuttgart and Munich) to Pisa and from Pisa to Malta.
According to my GPS Recorder I left the plane at 18:14 and arrived at the bus statiion at 18:19. I have no luggage except my backpack...so no wait for the luggage.
At the bus station there was a employee of the Malta Transport Authority? who told me that the bus would be late. In fact it arrived very late. In the meantime other passengers with big suitcases arrived. It took very long to board all the pessengers. It was very hot.
According to my GPS the bus left the airport at 18:56. It should have been 18:10.
Because it was full the bus only stopped at the Valletta Bus Terminal at 19:21.
Bus number 45 left Valletta at 19:50 and arrived in Cirkewwa at 20:53.

The ferry was late an left the harbour at 21:48 and arrived in Mgarr at 22:14.
There is a taxi driver called Franky picked me up in drove me to the Downtown Hotel in Victoria/Rabat for 12 Euros (white taxi). Other white taxis would charge 14 Euros. I contacted him 1 or 2 days before via e-mail and again on my day of arrival via mobile. I think you would have get it cheaper :( ...but it was the most expensive part of my journey to Gozo, so all in all it was really cheap. :D
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sun 14 Jun 2009 12:53 GMT

welcome to Gozo :D

I left the plane at 18:14 and arrived at the bus statiion at 18:19. -thats very impressive !
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kraut ;-) » Sun 14 Jun 2009 12:58 GMT

JJ wrote:And you'll be in Victoria at the perfect time for a beer, and there's a proposal of a meet in another topic.
You can find free WiFi at several bars around Piazza Independence incidentally (no names, no pack drill).

I hope I am not to late. I arrived Friday night. On Saturday at 10:00 I had an appointment with an real estate agent. Later the day I walked around in Victoria (what is the official name: Rabat or Victoria?).
Today I checked the walking distance between 2 properties an the bus terminal.

Thanks for mentioning the WiFi hotspots. I think I will try find one later this day. The Internet access in my hotel is very cheap but it is not wireless. One has to use a network cable in the room.

I would be happy to meet anyone of you. But to be honest, I am not the best person to communicate with. As you may see, my ability to write in English language is a bit limited. I have limited problems to read and understand things written in English, but I have my problems to understand spoken English (I am not used to it). I do even have bigger problems to speak English. Never really had to use it as nowadays nearly everything works via e-mail. With some beers it could work better. :D

Malta/Gozo is my real life language school. :D
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby Kraut ;-) » Sun 14 Jun 2009 14:11 GMT

gozomark wrote:welcome to Gozo :D

I left the plane at 18:14 and arrived at the bus statiion at 18:19. -thats very impressive !

half walking, half running.
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby JJ » Mon 15 Jun 2009 20:04 GMT

Mr. Kraut: I don't know if you're following the "Knight and Rabbit" forum but a few of us are planning to meet tomorrow evening (Tuesday) in central Victoria (with free WiFi!) if you'd like to join us. See http://www.britishexpat.com/expatforum/ ... hp?t=21565

And anyone else of course.
Posted by:
JJ

Return to Getting around on Malta and Gozo