It is currently Sun 29 Nov 2020 09:10 GMT
Change font size

Getting around on Malta and Gozo

Welcome to Arriva buses. 3/7/11.

Info on buses, taxis, and other means of getting around.

Welcome to Arriva buses. 3/7/11.

Postby dave dee » Sat 28 May 2011 12:14 GMT

Looks like the end of cheap travel from 3rd July, from the ticketing info looks like quite an increase on present tarifs, still reasonable though i suppose.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Sun 29 May 2011 09:54 GMT

Will have to see how it works in practice, especially 'discounted' fares for Maltese ID card holders. There's been talk of the EU stepping in to make sure other citizens aren't discriminated against, but this being Malta the two tier pricing will probably last for years!

At least the new buses will be an improvement in comfort :D
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sun 29 May 2011 13:19 GMT

Morally I think its wrong, but it appears the discrimination is legal as its not based on nationality, but on residency.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Sun 29 May 2011 16:31 GMT

Seems to me that the Malta resident workers will be most out of pocket really, a day ticket for a local i.d.card holder is Euro 1.50. meaning a single bus journey to work and back is around a 56 cents increase, a non resident will pay Euro 2.60 for the same day ticket and will save a fortune on the tour bus price. Good to see they have also added more direct routes to save travelling to Valetta every time you want to go somewhere.
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Kraut ;-) » Wed 1 Jun 2011 17:16 GMT

Airport Shuttle to the ferry :D
In Gozo last buses will now depart around 22:45.
Good news for Marsalforn: Direct connection from Mgarr.
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 1 Jun 2011 17:22 GMT

Yep, airport shuttle is good news - less than half the price of current coach service, and looks like will be more direct
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kraut ;-) » Wed 1 Jun 2011 18:00 GMT

more direct :crackup:

the current coach stopped at every hotel and was not cheap.
Posted by:
Kraut ;-)
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Wed 1 Jun 2011 18:03 GMT

the current coach can range from stopping at 20 hotels in various locations, to, if lucky, being put in a taxi as one is the only passenger - the latter happens quite a bit in the winter
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Wed 1 Jun 2011 18:15 GMT

Seeing as Malta is almost totally reliant on tourism to bring in the big bucks, it seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face to charge tourists more than the locals. It's just plain daft!! :roll:
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Wed 1 Jun 2011 21:37 GMT

It's just plain daft

Er...this is Malta......did you expect anything else ! :crackup: :crackup:
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby wendy.bruce2 » Thu 2 Jun 2011 06:18 GMT

Hi Bob, I was waiting for someone to come back with that!! For once I am fed up with just shrugging my shoulders at the barminess that goes on in Malta. I think when it comes to things like encouraging tourists or looking after their heritage, then the government should get their finger out!! :brickwall: :soapbox:
Posted by:
wendy.bruce2
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Thu 2 Jun 2011 11:12 GMT

I'm just curious to see if Arriva actually enforce their own rules once they start operating. There's plenty of talk at the moment, but let's see if the driver's get any better or friendlier.

No doubt the Govt and Arriva will keep things tight for a month or two. Let's see what it's like in six months time. :wink:
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby Melby » Thu 2 Jun 2011 14:21 GMT

The irony is that Arriva's service reputation is not that great in the UK. Maybe compared to the current operation it will prove a big step forward.
Posted by:
Melby
Supporter

Postby chris green » Thu 2 Jun 2011 15:44 GMT

As I've been in communication with Arriva they very kindly showed me round one of the new vehicles this afternoon. It had built in statues of the Madonna, the windows were stained glass and there were pictures of Our Savior woven into the seats which also had a crucifix on the back of each one. The electronic destination board displays religious messages from the Bishops and the Pope. Holy Kinnie is available next to the ticket machine when boarding.
The drivers area has dual hands-free phones, a table on top of the steering wheel enabling food and drink consumption and a double seat for his friends who want a chat. There is also a giant ashtray. The air-con, which only operates after sufficient customers have donated their change, automatically dispenses incense every five minutes.
An on-board entertainment system plays an endless loop of Maltese Eurovision entries. Each bus is sponsored by an English or Italian football club. Our Ken's bendy buses now genuflect as they pass the various and many roadside shrines.
Roll on July. Dont'cha love 'em! :mrgreen:
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby dave dee » Thu 2 Jun 2011 16:09 GMT

Great review Chris, do the seats really have pictures of Jamie Oliver woven into them? :lol:
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Next

Return to Getting around on Malta and Gozo