It is currently Sun 29 Nov 2020 09:11 GMT
Change font size

Getting around on Malta and Gozo

Commission tells Malta to change bus fares system

Info on buses, taxis, and other means of getting around.

Commission tells Malta to change bus fares system

Postby gozomark » Fri 19 Apr 2013 07:26 GMT

looks like the end of the 2 tier bus pricing

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi ... res.466121
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Fri 19 Apr 2013 07:54 GMT

my prediction ?

What is likely to happen now is that some sort of bus pass will be available, costing say € 25 a year, available to all, giving say a 25% discount on prices. Prices will be raised for all by say 33%, so those holding the bus pass will get the same price as now. Tourists will pay the same as now as not worth buying a pass, whilst those residents who only use the buses infrequently will end up paying more. Net result, nobody is better off (other than residents who currently dont have an ID card/eresidency doc) , and some are worse off.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby dave dee » Fri 19 Apr 2013 08:11 GMT

I thought the reduction for Malta residents was to do more with the lower wage rates here than most of their European counterparts and the previous system being so inexpensive to travel on, i suppose any change comes at a cost and i'm sure the new price won't be set at the lower tier for all.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
dave dee
Supporter

Postby Cuauhtli » Fri 19 Apr 2013 08:15 GMT

Maybe not many will greatly benefit from the enforcement but at least it's one less case of discrimination. The only other alternative would have been all other EU countries charging residents of Malta extra for using their bus services. Might slow down getting on a bus a bit though.

More importantly I hope this is just the start and that there will now be some movement on the big one - electricity and water.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Cuauhtli
Premium Member

Postby gozomark » Fri 19 Apr 2013 08:28 GMT

The buses were fairly clearcut illegal discrimination, whereas electricity and water is not so clear.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Fri 19 Apr 2013 08:40 GMT

dave dee wrote: i'm sure the new price won't be set at the lower tier for all.

unless its revenue neutral for Arriva, the government will have to increase its subsidy
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Getting around on Malta and Gozo