It is currently Fri 27 Nov 2020 08:49 GMT
Change font size

Getting around on Malta and Gozo

Car Parks

Info on buses, taxis, and other means of getting around.

Car Parks

Postby steveclv » Wed 2 Oct 2013 23:34 GMT

Do you have to pay to park your car on Malta?

Coming from the US where 99% of parking is free and hearing from people in the UK that they charge you to park at the Supermarkets (WHAT!!!) I wondered what the situation is in Malta.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
steveclv
Free member

Postby Dave » Thu 3 Oct 2013 05:45 GMT

Others know much more about Malta than I do. I don't think we ever had to pay for parking anywhere when we visited in 2010, although finding somewhere to park could sometimes be a struggle, and I seem to remember there were parking meters in some places (eg Valletta).

But I was rather taken aback by this:

steveclv wrote:hearing from people in the UK that they charge you to park at the Supermarkets (WHAT!!!)

That's a change from when Kay and I were last in the UK in 2005. The only supermarket that ever charged was Safeway in Sutton High Street, and that wasn't a typical supermarket car park. Being a town centre location, it was short on space (it was actually a multi-storey, in that most of it was on the roof of the building) and was very heavily in demand for the many people who wanted to shop at other shops as well.

But a lot of the time they had the barriers raised and there was no-one at the payment kiosk, so parking was free. And even when the car park was attended, you could park free for two hours by showing your Safeway till receipt along with your parking ticket.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Thu 3 Oct 2013 07:25 GMT

That's a change from when I was there in June of this year. But there's a distinction between individual shop car parks and shared/municipal car parks where there's often a charge which is waived if you spend £10 or something, often simply because the car park would be used by commuters if there wasn't some restriction.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby gozomark » Thu 3 Oct 2013 07:27 GMT

There are a few places you have to pay to park
1. multi story car parks like outside Valletta
2. park and ride to Valletta
3. airport
4. some beaches have some private parking
5. some parking areas with parking "wardens" who expect a payment

but in general parking is free (although watch out for residents only and timed zones)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Thu 3 Oct 2013 09:16 GMT

gozomark wrote:watch out for residents only and timed zones

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the parking discs. :)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Getting around on Malta and Gozo