It is currently Fri 27 Nov 2020 08:22 GMT
Change font size

Getting around on Malta and Gozo

Bus tickets and payment

Info on buses, taxis, and other means of getting around.

Bus tickets and payment

Postby Gordon64 » Thu 3 Oct 2013 14:34 GMT

I was thinking about applying for the Arriva Saver Card but I now realise I would only get my money's worth if I was using the bus practically every day.

However, from what I have read on the Arriva website once my residency application is approved I would be eligible for discount but I would still need to pay by cash each time I board the bus. Have I understood this correctly?

After years of travelling by bus and tube in London I was rather hoping I could have a cashless way of travelling by bus so that I am not fumbling for change with a queue of people behind me!

Thanks,
Gordon
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Gordon64
Free member

Postby gozomark » Thu 3 Oct 2013 16:31 GMT

sadly no system like the London Oyster card yet
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Fri 4 Oct 2013 00:28 GMT

Er, I'm confused. The Saver Card is only available to residents. From their website:

Only Discounted Tickets are available on the saver card. Therefore, you need an official Malta Identity Card or a Registration Certificate/Residence Card (for EU citizens and their family members) or a Long-Term Residence Permit, all issued by the Government of Malta in order to apply.

And then it's stupidly cheap. I don't know about Malta and the Arriva website isn't giving me a good consumer experience right now [cringes at the managementspeak] but in Gozo I pay €10/month or about 33c/day.

And yes, wouldn't it be sensible if they had a card for Kartanzjan cardholders for, say, €5/month, and pre-paid tourist cards that could be sold on the planes and offered a certain value or number of days of use. But this is Malta.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Gordon64 » Fri 4 Oct 2013 10:46 GMT

Thanks for the replies.

The website does indeed show that a monthly ticket is €10 on Gozo
Unfortunately, on Malta it is €26 for a one month ticket!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Gordon64
Free member

Return to Getting around on Malta and Gozo