It is currently Fri 27 Nov 2020 07:59 GMT
Change font size

Getting around on Malta and Gozo

New bus ticket system launched

Info on buses, taxis, and other means of getting around.

New bus ticket system launched

Postby gozomark » Mon 27 Apr 2015 03:55 GMT

"The company announced the new bus card called tallinja card, which can start being used as of July 2015, this morning.
The card will entitle holders to reduced bus fares, and will make it easy to use the bus without the need to buy tickets. It is an intelligent card and will be personalised with the holder’s photo and name and can be topped up with credit online, over the phone, at one of Malta Public Transport’s sales outlets or at any MaltaPost post office. The credit on the card will not expire."

.http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi ... ard.565560
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Re: New bus ticket system launched

Postby gozomark » Mon 27 Apr 2015 03:58 GMT

Registration
People can register for their card now, free of charge either online at http://www.tallinja.com or by calling on 2122 2000. Applicants will be advised when their card is ready to be collected from their Local Council as of June.
. One may also visit any of our kiosks at the Valletta Bus Terminal, Bugibba Bus Terminal, Mater Dei Hospital Reception, University, Malta International Airport and Victoria Bus Terminal.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby FOXGLOVE » Tue 28 Apr 2015 19:45 GMT

gozomark wrote:Registration
People can register for their card now, free of charge either online at http://www.tallinja.com or by calling on 2122 2000. Applicants will be advised when their card is ready to be collected from their Local Council as of June.
. One may also visit any of our kiosks at the Valletta Bus Terminal, Bugibba Bus Terminal, Mater Dei Hospital Reception, University, Malta International Airport and Victoria Bus Terminal.

If applying online, be aware that the system will not accept eResidence Document or ID numbers.
Whilst there is not a kiosk at Victoria Bus Station, there is a young lady taking registration details in the drivers office (which until now has been off limits to the public) only your eResidence card is required and she will enter everything on her tablet computer. You will get a call to let you know when your card is ready to collect from your local council office.

Ray
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby ozzy » Wed 29 Apr 2015 05:53 GMT

I registered online using my ID card number and got a confirmation email back with my details listed .... now i am wondering if the registration worked or not .. as i have seen so many post's from people not able to complete it online
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby FOXGLOVE » Wed 29 Apr 2015 08:00 GMT

ozzy wrote:I registered online using my ID card number and got a confirmation email back with my details listed .... now i am wondering if the registration worked or not .. as i have seen so many post's from people not able to complete it online

I assume you are talking about an old ID card not the new eResidence card in which case I think you will be OK.
The eResidence card did not work on day one for online registration but did if you went to one of the kiosks. They have now adapted there system to correct the problem and I am told they will now work online.

Ray
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby ozzy » Wed 29 Apr 2015 08:03 GMT

Card is only 12 months old .... more confused now :)
Posted by:
ozzy
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 29 Apr 2015 08:19 GMT

whether its the eResidence card or the old ID card, your ID number remains the same :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby FOXGLOVE » Wed 29 Apr 2015 11:07 GMT

gozomark wrote:whether its the eResidence card or the old ID card, your ID number remains the same :-)

Hi Mark,
On the original online application their website would accept the ID number from the back of the eResidence card on the first page but on a later page asked for the documentation No. which was shown, as an illustration, on an original ID card and showed a number on the back of the card. The only other number on the eResidence card is on the front and starts MT but that was not acceptable and the registration stalled.

They have now, apparently, fixed this problem and it does now work and has amended instructions on the website.

I would add that my attempt online was for the concession version of the card and not all details on the registration are the same for all versions.

Ray
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 29 Apr 2015 18:20 GMT

thanks for the explanation :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby FOXGLOVE » Sat 27 Jun 2015 07:54 GMT

Despite 'Tallinja' saying on their Facebook page that all cards had now been sent out I know of many who have not received them including us, so I contacted them, this is the reply.

"The cards are not being sent in any particular order as they are being processed in bulk. We are doing our best to distribute all cards by Tuesday 30th. Should you not receive your card, you will be able to make a claim to be refunded with the difference of the ticket bought on the bus. Hope this clarifies. Thanks"

So they have obviously not all been sent yet!

Ray
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Postby FOXGLOVE » Sat 27 Jun 2015 12:44 GMT

The statement from Tallinja above has now been revised to :-

" All registrations for the tallinja card made by the 19th June will be delivered by the 30th June. Registrations received after the 19th June will be delivered right after. Those that don’t receive it by the 30th June will be able to make a claim for the difference in price of the ticket bought on the bus. Thanks"

Ray
Posted by:
FOXGLOVE
Free member

Return to Getting around on Malta and Gozo