It is currently Sat 24 Aug 2019 13:28 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Family issues

Toddlers

All about the ins and outs of family life - kids, parents, and all the other domestic stuff. (Anecdotes and updates about your family belong in the Knight & Rabbit, not here.)

Toddlers

Postby GavD » Tue 21 Jul 2009 14:42 GMT

Hi Guys
My wife and I are living in Spain and I have been offered a job in Malta. Our first child is due in Nov so we are waiting until then. I was wondering though if there are any mother and toddler/baby groups in Malta? Is the ex pat community a fair size?
Thanks in advance for your help
Gav
Posted by:
GavD

Postby gozomark » Tue 21 Jul 2009 14:52 GMT

Hi Gav, and welcome to the forum :D

sorry, I don't do sprogs, so I'm no help on that side, but I'm sure someone else will be

expat community - about 15,000 people, so about 4% of population
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby GavD » Tue 21 Jul 2009 15:32 GMT

Thanks Mark! 15,000 is still a fair amount but nothing compared to here in spain!
This is probably a very ignorant thing to say as well but do most Maltese people speak English? I know that when we visited 10 years ago the english were made very welcome and most people spoke English

Gav
Posted by:
GavD

Postby gozomark » Tue 21 Jul 2009 15:36 GMT

not ignorant at all :D

OK at a guess, I'd say 75% of Maltese citizens speak atleast good English, with most of the rest speaking passable English.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby GavD » Tue 21 Jul 2009 15:40 GMT

Thats great thanks. We speak Spanish but not enough to get by at the doctors here etc so it will be great to be somewhere that we will not need translators!
Can't wait to get over there!
Are there any English stores over there? I by no means want England in the Sun but just want to get a feel of what is there

Gav
Posted by:
GavD

Postby gozomark » Tue 21 Jul 2009 15:45 GMT

With the close ties to the UK over the last 200 plus years, there is alot of Britshness about Malta, but there is also alot of Italian/Sicilian and Arabic influences.
You will find a few UK stores like M&S and BHS, but not many.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Wed 22 Jul 2009 19:06 GMT

And their prices are based on an outrageous exchange rate - at least €1.60=£1.00.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby keeleyc » Mon 14 Sep 2009 16:25 GMT

I find it much more british here than Spain. There is a Topshop, Mothercare, Peacocks, Monsoon, Claire's, BHS, M & S, Bodyshop & Next.

I absolutely love the Maltese people, who I must say, seem to love the British. Practically every Maltese person I have spoken to speaks English.

We have taken our 1 year old to the doctors several times and never needed a translator.

On the subject of Mother Toddler groups, I am struggling to find any. The only thing I have found is a mother & toddler keep fit club. If you go to Eden Leisure it should have some information. They also do a kids cinema day. If I find any mother & Toddler groups in the meantime will definatley let you know.

If anyone on the site knows of any near the St Pauls; Bugibba, Qawra area, Pleasssssssssssssee let me know. Many thanks!
Posted by:
keeleyc

Postby Mr Lally » Fri 23 Apr 2010 14:00 GMT

I'm reopening another old thread, blowing off the dust, and looking for some new eyes...

We are moving with our little one to Gozo in January next year. It is clear from posts on this board that there's a lack of social events for toddlers/babies. Here in Brighton, most of the groups are formed by parents and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in forming a little group for next year? My partner is pretty good at organising, so we'd be happy to put the research in if there was demand.

My little girl has a voice like a fog horn, so if we can't organise anything before we move, I'm sure she'll be able to draw any local babies to her location through her noisy chatter.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mr Lally
Supporter

Return to Family issues