It is currently Fri 13 Dec 2019 20:39 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Family issues

looking to make new friends

All about the ins and outs of family life - kids, parents, and all the other domestic stuff. (Anecdotes and updates about your family belong in the Knight & Rabbit, not here.)

looking to make new friends

Postby ang84 » Tue 31 Aug 2010 08:39 GMT

hi im angela im 26 i have just recently moved to malta from sunderland with my husband and our 2 daughters i dont no any one in malta apart from my parents who live here too so looking to mee some new friends to meet up with
Posted by:
ang84

Postby pumabob » Tue 31 Aug 2010 11:56 GMT

Hi Angela and welcome to the forum.

It might help a little bit more if you told us where you are living in Malta.
There are lots of ex-pats all over the island, bound to be some near you. :D
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 31 Aug 2010 13:31 GMT

Hi Angela, and welcome from me as well :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Eggs » Tue 31 Aug 2010 19:10 GMT

How old are your kids aswell :)
===================
Rob Marna Harry Zara :P
===================
Posted by:
Eggs
Supporter

Postby mumstheword » Sun 1 May 2011 14:32 GMT

hi my name is amy smith,im a pensioner, widowed, and i am 78yrs young. i live in Bugibba, my daughter lives with me. iam looking 2 make new friends in this area, 4 talks and coffee, etc
Posted by:
mumstheword

Postby halljenw » Thu 5 May 2011 15:31 GMT

Hi Angela, my family and I have moved over here last month from West Yorkshire. I have two children - a girl aged 5 and a boy aged 9. We are living in Qawra and also looking to make some friends. My husband is at work during the day so it would be nice to make some friends who I could meet and chat with. Where abouts are you living?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
halljenw
Free member

Fiends with the Maltese and attitudes towards English

Postby Echotango » Thu 31 Jan 2013 09:25 GMT

Do any of you have Maltese friends. Not casual aquaintances. But people you would invite over for a drink, meal?

How is gossip and attitude towards the English or any expat for that that matter. Do the Maltese accept you or do you live in isolation from them.

Has anyone tried to learn Maltese.

Sorry three question in one.
Posted by:
Echotango

Postby gozomark » Thu 31 Jan 2013 09:49 GMT

I have a small number of Maltese friends who I'm very close with.

Attitude to expats? Generally very good, but it depends on the expat! Whinging brits do not go down well, and then those people wonder why Maltese aren't friendly to them.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Rachy » Thu 31 Jan 2013 09:55 GMT

We have several Maltese friends, some close we have found Maltese to be very friendly., but as Mark said expect to be treated as you treat others. Like you would in UK, you might have to make the effort to get to know people.

I guess it also depends on where you live - where we are it's very multi-cultural, but if you are in a village away from the main tourist areas you might not have as many expats around you.

I'm currently learning Maltese, and it's, erm, quite challenging :lol:
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rachy
Premium Member

Postby Echotango » Thu 31 Jan 2013 12:49 GMT

Thanks Guys, very positive
Posted by:
Echotango

HI ANGELA

Postby mummy2bella » Tue 16 Apr 2013 07:08 GMT

hi angela, welcome to malta, where abouts are you living? i moved over here about 4 years with my husband and we have a daughter of 10 months. i STILL have no friends over here. and unlike you i have no family over here, only my husbands family! if you would like to talk im here :) Zoe x
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
mummy2bella
Free member

Postby gozomark » Tue 16 Apr 2013 07:09 GMT

Hi Zoe, and welcome to the forum :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby mummy2bella » Tue 16 Apr 2013 07:25 GMT

hi mark thankyou :)
Posted by:
mummy2bella
Free member

Postby AnnMandy » Tue 19 Nov 2013 09:21 GMT

Hello all! Already come across some of you on here, but 'hi' to those I haven't yet. Positive feedback on the locals. I thought they couldn't be less friendly than the French! (Who I adore now, but on first arrival ....) Though I imagine the language is more tricky!!!
Posted by:
AnnMandy
Free member

Postby maxine » Tue 19 Nov 2013 10:46 GMT

We arrived here 4 days ago and after the initial shock factor of a new culture, we are beginning to love it!
The secret is to remember that we are foreigners in a foreign land and to be respectful. It's different from the UK (and even more so than the US where we lived for 10 years) and we can't judge others based on our own cultural upbringing. The standards of cleanliness, the driving, the living standards, the roads etc are all different and we just have to accept that it's not England.
I am most appreciative that most people speak English, even if the accent can be rather strong, and I will try and learn some basic Maltese (currently learning how to pronounce the town names lol) because I think it would be fun and a great way to get along with the locals.

The first thing that hit me was when I watched a couple of older men chatting - I thought it was going to come to blows because the language sounds so harsh (being based on Arabic) - of course they were just passing the time of day but it gives the impression that the Maltese are always 'dour' (good Scottish word) but in fact they are very friendly.

However, as the Aussies say, there is no room for 'whingeing poms' LOL
Posted by:
maxine
Free member

Next

Return to Family issues