It is currently Fri 6 Dec 2019 09:04 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Family issues

Re-burial in Malta/Gozo

All about the ins and outs of family life - kids, parents, and all the other domestic stuff. (Anecdotes and updates about your family belong in the Knight & Rabbit, not here.)

Re-burial in Malta/Gozo

Postby PeterN » Mon 7 Nov 2011 17:47 GMT

My uncle moved from UK in 1970, lived in Gharb and died in 2006. With local help, I arranged his burial in Xewkija Cemetry. I was told at the time that, in a few years, his remains would need to be raised and either re-buried in a smaller coffin or dropped at sea. How do I go about organising this (from UK) and what sort of ceremony is traditionally attached to the event? Any advice would be appreciated. I hope I have chosen a suitable section for this question!
Posted by:
PeterN

Postby gozomark » Mon 7 Nov 2011 18:04 GMT

Hi Peter, and welcome to the forum :-)

I've heard something similar - its for people who don't have a family plot I believe, which generally means foreigners - but have no experience of this. One suggestion - did your uncle have a will in Gozo ? - if so, it could be worth contacting his notary or lawyer. Otherwise, contact the Xewjika parish http://www.xewkijaparish.org/

Mons Carmelo Mercieca
Ufficju Parrokjali
Pjazza San Gwann Battista
Xewkija, Gozo
Malta.

Telephone: +356 21556793
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby PeterN » Tue 8 Nov 2011 14:50 GMT

Thank you very much Monsignor, that is very helpful. I shall leave this thread open for a little longer in case someone has first hand experience of this problem.

Peter
Posted by:
PeterN

Postby Rusiannefx » Sun 30 Mar 2014 21:23 GMT

Hi, not sure if you still need help or not.
This burial process is done for the Maltese people also, the reason being that there is not enough space on the island for everyone to have full burial plots. When my grandfather passed away my uncle had to be there as a family representative for the exhuming process, no formal ceremony is needed.
In each family plot there contains the remains of many family members in much small caskets, essentially containing there bones and anything that might have survived decomposition, in my grandfathers case it was his nylon socks.
Yes, it is an unpleasant experience for the person voted to be the family representative, but also a nobel one.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Rusiannefx
Free member

Return to Family issues