It is currently Sun 25 Oct 2020 23:07 GMT
Change font size

Family issues

Help!!! Registering child into school?!!!

All about the ins and outs of family life - kids, parents, and all the other domestic stuff. (Anecdotes and updates about your family belong in the Knight & Rabbit, not here.)

Help!!! Registering child into school?!!!

Postby laurasmith50 » Tue 31 Jul 2012 22:26 GMT

Can someone HELP me? I need as much information on how to register my children into school. Me and my family are planning to move in september 2012.
I already know that I need to register with the education board but what do I need to do this? also do i need to get a residents certificate to do this and if so what do I need to register us in Malta? Is it just myself and partner i register or do I register the children aswel with the residents certificate? very confusing trying to get the information online with no luck and want to be over prepared for when we come.

Be so grateful for any information or even telephone numbers that you think will help.

many thanks
mrs smith :? :?
Posted by:
laurasmith50

Postby sarahc » Wed 1 Aug 2012 05:30 GMT

Have you found a school yet? You would need to look at a few to get a feel of them.

We moved over the end of September last year just as schools went back after the summer hols. I went to register them and literally a few days later they started school all within a week of being here.
Here on Gozo I went to the education office armed with there Birth certificates, you will need records of there Innoculations as a child,( little red book). Passports for all children too.
They will have to see the school doctor for a check up before they start school, but the school doctors do the rounds to all schools at the start of the school year for all year 1 children so you should get seen quickly enough, otherwise you would see the school doctor at their surgery.

The first day of school was a bit of a jolt though, I went to the school with the kids and waited around not knowing what to do, and after all the other kids had disappeared two teachers came and introduced them selves as my kids teachers and off they all went, no settling in or seeing where the classroom was. All a bit sudden, fortunately my kids settled in quite quickly and have now finished there first year at school here in Gozo, my 9 yr old daughter even getting really good marks in here end of year exams!

Not sure what it's like on Malta but here on Gozo it was a quick and easy.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
sarahc
Free member

Postby gozomark » Wed 1 Aug 2012 07:29 GMT

Hi Laura, and welcome to the forum :-)

the following should help with other matters

http://britishexpat.com/expatforum/malt ... hp?t=21114

covers

1. An EU citizens legal rights - residency, working, students
2. what sort of residency is available ?
3. what do I need to apply for if I want to reside in Malta ?
4. do I need to apply for residency before coming to live in Malta ?
5. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
6. do I need health insurance ?
6.1 Do I qualify for public health cover, and if I do, what cover do I have ? Are prescriptions free ?
7. can I work in Malta ?
7.1 How much is income tax ?
7.2 How much are social security contributions ?
8. where do I apply for my residency certificate ?
9. where can I get the OR application form ?
10. where do I apply for my ID card ?
11. what documents do I need to apply for OR ?
12. can I vote in Malta ?
13. buying a property FAQ
14. renting a property FAQ
15. Importing a vehicle FAQ
16. What's the procedure for importing/exporting a pet ?
17. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
17.1 Applying for driving licence
18. Long term residency certificate
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Family issues