It is currently Wed 21 Aug 2019 18:07 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Boats and yachting

Bringing boat from UK to Malta

Shiver me timbers... here's our forum for all you nautical types!

Bringing boat from UK to Malta

Postby pumabob » Fri 18 Sep 2009 21:29 GMT

I'm considering buying a boat in the UK and towing it over, when I retire/move.
It would be kept on trailer (when not in use, obviously) either in driveway or garage.
Any weblinks info or previous experience which could help with the re-registering process/costs in Malta would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sat 19 Sep 2009 00:47 GMT

Malta Maritime Authority might be able to help

http://www.mma.gov.mt/index.htm
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby pumabob » Sun 20 Sep 2009 18:00 GMT

Thanks Mark,
Very helpful link and for most folks considering importing a boat, I would suggest looking at the small ships section, especially the fees.

http://www.mma.gov.mt/yacting_fees.htm#fees

E.G First registration
Where the boat has an engine exceeding 50 HP, but not exceeding 75 HP.- €698.81 (Lm 300)

Annual registration renewal - €81.53 (Lm 35)

Don't know how current those prices are, but seems reasonable per year, once you have sorted out the initial registration.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Sat 20 Feb 2010 21:24 GMT

Can anyone confirm if the above MMA website/links are still active as I can't seem to access them any more?? :cry:
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Sat 20 Feb 2010 21:36 GMT

The Malta transport dept is moving its website, and wasn't bothered posting transfer links yet :roll:

Its probably somewhere on this site, or if not yet, will be once they fully transfer
http://transport.gov.mt/Home.aspx?lid=1&sec=1
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby pumabob » Sat 20 Feb 2010 23:08 GMT

Thanks, GM, that's the new link, working 95% anyhow.

I also see that they have changed ALL the registration/renewal fees included those quoted above, now making initial reg 50 euro, previously 698 :D

but have increased renewal fees for larger engines slightly, (above 75hp), to 100-140.

Overall seems to be a move in the right direction, probably due to the new marinas/residential developments hoping to encourage business.

Now, if only they could do the same with the dreaded car registration taxes :roll: :roll:
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Return to Boats and yachting