It is currently Sat 24 Aug 2019 14:14 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five pub quiz questions – Quick Quiz
    As a change from our usual helping of country-related trivia, here's a tasty selection of five "pub quiz" type general knowledge questions. Have a go!

Boats and yachting

JETSKIS

Shiver me timbers... here's our forum for all you nautical types!

JETSKIS

Postby Kow » Mon 1 Feb 2010 22:50 GMT

Does anyone know if/what licence is required to own a jetski in Malta ?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Kow
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Thu 4 Feb 2010 03:13 GMT

I know that you need to register a boat and have to get a yearly licence before using one in Malta.

I'm not sure about jet skis though, and can't find any boat dealers who sell them on the island. Perhaps someone already living there can help?

There seem to be very strict regulations on mixing (or rather prohibiting) boats/swimming areas. Speed limits, boat transit lanes, swimmers zones, etc. If the same rules apply to jetskis there are very few, if any, places you could actually use one.

Suggest you do a bit of research before buying/bringing one, as it may not be feasible.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby Kow » Thu 4 Feb 2010 08:30 GMT

Thanks Pumabob. Will try and find out more when I visit next.
Posted by:
Kow
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Sat 20 Feb 2010 23:25 GMT

Kow,
Gozomark posted this new link on another topic, which answers most of your queries.
Prices seem to be be down too!!

http://transport.gov.mt/Home.aspx?lid=1&sec=1
Look under 'Maritime' - then 'Yachting/small craft'

Using a jetski with an engine size between 50 - 75hp, (and assuming MMA would class it as a 'small craft') then basic costs would be;

A. For the registration of a small ship: exceeding 50 H.P. but not exceeding 75 H.P......€ 50.00

B. For the issue of a nautical licence to drive a mechanically driven small ship .....€ 23.29

C. For the annual renewal of registration of any small ships: exceeding 50 H.P. but not 75 H.P....... € 80.00

This covers private use only, mostly aimed at pleasure boats -
hiring and ski towing / instructing licence fees are also shown at bottom of page.

Hope this helps. :D
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Return to Boats and yachting