It is currently Thu 23 Jan 2020 07:34 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Happy New Year!
    Kay and Dave wish all our British Expat readers a happy, healthy and prosperous 2020!

Boats and yachting

Where to keep my boat

Shiver me timbers... here's our forum for all you nautical types!

Where to keep my boat

Postby thepriory » Sun 26 Sep 2010 20:53 GMT

Hello, I am thinking of purchasing a small motor boat. Can I simply keep this moored in a bay (eg St Pauls Bay) for the weeks I intend to use it?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
thepriory
Free member

Postby pumabob » Mon 27 Sep 2010 02:44 GMT

Short answer is NO, you can't.

Most moorings are owned/used by other people already and they take a dim view of others using them without permission. There is a cost for hiring these. It's also the wrong time of year for moorings as most boats are taken out of the water around now, due to strong winds, seas from Sept until May or June.

I'm assuming that you are looking for a small boat, ie less than 20ft, and you should definitely plan to get one with a trailer. It's better that you get something which you can tow to/from the slipway and store in your own garage when not in use. That way you avoid the mooring charges.

If you don't have a garage you will have to pay for winter storage, which isn't cheap.
Remember too that you will need insurance cover, registration number, vhf licence (if radio fitted), UK International Certificate of Competence or Maltese boat licence for anything over 9.9hp.

Don't be tempted to use a boat/engine over that size without the proper documentation because the Maltese authorities will confiscate it and hit you with a big fine too!

Registering a boat in the UK is best as it's only £25 for 5 years, much cheaper than Malta, but that depends on you still having a UK address to send the papers to. It can be UK registered/paid online from here though, which is what I did.

Anything else I can help you with, just ask. :D

PS, I'm also looking for a small boat to use during the winter, if the missus will let me buy one :roll: , so I have a fair idea of prices, availability at the moment.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Mooring costs

Postby thepriory » Mon 27 Sep 2010 06:37 GMT

Thanks pumabob. We dont have a garage or driveway yet, but hope this will change in 12 months. I would like to get a small low powered motor boat, as I am a Novice but would definately get something with a trailer. It depends how expensive 'expensive' is really with regards to mooring.........
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
thepriory
Free member

Postby JJ » Mon 27 Sep 2010 07:50 GMT

A friend came to check out moorings for a yacht in Gozo last year. The official at Mgarr showed us the waiting list: well over a hundred names, the earliest of whom have been waiting about twenty years.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Boat Storage

Postby thepriory » Mon 27 Sep 2010 09:02 GMT

OMG 20 years! So.....based on my circumstances, ie an apartment with no garage. For a small speed boat, it sounds like the best thing would be to rent a garage (seen some for around 60 Euros per month, and transfer the boat in and out of the water every time i want to use it?......is there no way i can keep it in the water around Malta for at least a few weeks at a time? If so, who would I contact?
Posted by:
thepriory
Free member

Postby gozomark » Mon 27 Sep 2010 09:39 GMT

Depending on how often you use it, it may well be cheaper (and significantly easier) to rent a speedboat when required
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby pumabob » Mon 27 Sep 2010 09:41 GMT

There are two types of moorings, (1) swing moorings on buoys and (2) marina berths.

I think JJ was referring to a marina berth which is almost impossible to get and so expensive that you need a second mortage just to stay there. These are aimed at bigger boats and I've seen some yachts/power boats for sale including berth. However you are talking 20k purchase prices, plus yearly fees.

It depends how expensive 'expensive' is really with regards to mooring.........

Prices depend on length of boat but to give you an example:
I put my 30ft Bayliner flybridge on a swing mooring in Xemxija a few weeks ago, which is late in the season, due to it just having been imported. Was lifted out for storage last Thursday and I had to get a written extension from the insurers from 15th-23rd Sept.

Swing mooring - 20 euro per day
Road transport - 190 euro including lorry & trailer hire
Annual Boatyard Storage fee - 650 euro

Will ask today about long term mooring rates for a smaller craft and get back to you. You should be able to keep the boat in the water for a few weeks at a time, but probably not before June.

Just one question.. do you already have an ICC (boat licence) ?
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby pumabob » Mon 27 Sep 2010 09:45 GMT

Ref GM's post about renting.
I checked with a boat hire place in Sliema last month, 100euro per hour or 250 per day plus a deposit of 500euro.
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby thepriory » Mon 27 Sep 2010 10:00 GMT

Thanks pumabob,

I am a complete novice, have never owned a boat before. My experience is solely a day piloting a River Pleasure boat on the Norfolk Broads.

As for an ICC license. Nope, this is the first I have heard of it. Maybe this should be my first step.....how do I get one?
Posted by:
thepriory
Free member

Postby pumabob » Mon 27 Sep 2010 12:33 GMT

Priory,
As a complete novice, I wouldn't recommend buying a boat just yet, although I hadn't much more experience when I applied for my ICC.
(mostly crewing police ribs and the odd run out in coastguard/RNLI boats back home)

To obtain an ICC you need to do a 2 day powerboat level two course in the UK, recognised by the RYA, then pay an extra £25 for the international certificate. The course needs to be 'coastal' as there is a different one for canals/rivers. This lets you use a boat up to 10m / 33ft.

Here's a link with more detailed info;
http://www.duck-2-water.co.uk/training/ ... etence.asp

There are loads of different companies, based all over the UK.

As far as I know to get the Maltese equivilent you have to do a course here, followed by a test, but that's not internationally recognised.

Regarding the moorings, I spoke to the guy who owns mine.
He said that a small rib/boat would average 10 euro per day in summer. He would let me/you use the moorings in winter for free, but doesn't recommend doing it. After last night's rain he has been helping owners bail out water all day!!

I'm happy to answer questions based on my own recent experiences here, but it might scare the younger folks :crackup:

Am I right in thinking that you live in Attard? I'm near to San Anton Gardens, so if you wanted to chat over a pint or coffee give me a shout. :D
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby JJ » Mon 27 Sep 2010 12:50 GMT

Correct Bob - that's a marina berth, but my friend was impressed at how much cheaper they were... ...than Nice. About the same price as a decent garage in Gozo in fact. :-)

I expect suspect the same happens here as does in Nice. Berths cannot be sold but return to the harbour to be offered to the waiting list, but they can be inherited. Another friend has a boat in Nice but technically he only part owns it along with the previous owner because the berth came with it but remains in the previous owner's name and will pass down the family with my friend paying them €1,000pa or so to use the name.
Posted by:
JJ

Postby pumabob » Mon 27 Sep 2010 13:51 GMT

Your right, JJ.
What seems to happen here, or so I'm told, is that people get a berth on an annual basis. That way even when they aren't using it, it is still theirs. This means that the berths don't return to the harbour and can be 'sold' on, with the authorities basically turning a blind eye. Also means it's nearly impossible to get one as a newcomer!

(There is a berth in Msida currently being 'sold' on the internet for 12000 euro. :roll: )
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby JJCE » Mon 27 Sep 2010 14:09 GMT

I think there is some confusion here between the drivers licence (i.e proof of competence) and the boat licence (i.e. the tax to keep the boat)

A drivers licence is currently not required for boats under 100HP, although this will reduce in January 2011 to under 30HP, still plenty of (too much?) power for the casual user.

The boat licence, which is where the 9.9HP bit comes in (under this and you do not need this licence), is nothing to do with competence, just a ‘tax disk’ for the boat. This costs €50 on registration and an annual fee from €10 to €150 depending on HP.

So in summary for next season for a 30HP standard open boat (Rancraft/Fisher etc. that you see everywhere here) you would not need a ‘driving licence’ and you would pay €30 per year ‘road tax’

However, even though you don’t legally require it, the sort of training that PB is talking about has to be a good idea.

Agree with everything else on trailering to own garage, much cheaper and much more flexible.

Hope that helps, full details from MCA here

http://www.dca.gov.mt/Page.aspx?pageid=504&lid=1
Posted by:
JJCE
Supporter

Postby JJ » Mon 27 Sep 2010 14:12 GMT

At Mgarr it's a right nuisance trying to get a boat down the slipway with all the people washing their horses. :lol:
Posted by:
JJ

Postby pumabob » Mon 27 Sep 2010 15:03 GMT

Thanks JJCE for the clarification.

The registration number mentioned in my initial reply refers to the boat registration/tax disc or 'boat licence' though I didn't make that too clear at the start.

To register the 30HP standard open boat in the UK for 5 years is £25
To register it in Malta for 5 years at 50 + 30x5 = 200 euros

The ICC is indeed the driver's licence, and although I didn't test it, I was informed that as a foreigner the Maltese authorities and moreso the insurance companies would request one.
(Having said that I was bringing in a 30ft cabin cruiser with a 200HP diesel engine.)

I wouldn't recommend putting to sea without some sort of training/experience, especially with family on board.

Using a boat is like driving a car at speed with no brakes on an icy road....the thing stops when and where it wants, unless it hits something else first...but that's a whole different story :lol:
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Next

Return to Boats and yachting