It is currently Fri 13 Dec 2019 22:14 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Slovakia – Quick Quiz
    To your average Briton, Slovakia is one of Europe's less well-known countries. Why not do something to change that sad state of affairs with our Quick Quiz?

Boats and yachting

Dinghy sailing in Gozo (or Malta)\??

Shiver me timbers... here's our forum for all you nautical types!

Dinghy sailing in Gozo (or Malta)\??

Postby nicks156 » Sun 15 Jan 2012 19:28 GMT

Hi

I'm staying in Gozo and hoping to do some dinghy sailing while I'm here. I noticed there was a "Gozo sailing club" but the web site seems to be inactive.

Can anyone recommend a place to sail/hire a dinghy (laser/pico that sort of thing)?

Thanks
Nick
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
nicks156
Free member

Postby gozomark » Mon 16 Jan 2012 06:34 GMT

Hi Nick, and welcome to the forum :-)

I've no direct knowledge, but the following pages might help

Gozo Sailing Club
http://www.gozosailingclub.gitd.net/index.php

on the Gozo Ministry website
http://www.gozo.gov.mt/pages.aspx?page=363

also this on the Tourism website
http://www.visitmalta.com/sports-contacts
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby nicks156 » Mon 16 Jan 2012 09:36 GMT

Thanks Mark

I checked out those sites but still couldn't find evidence of any sailing actually going on! I think the first link is an abandoned website?

I just found a link to what seems to be a company in Xlendi offering "Topper" boats and seakayaks to hire. I will chase that up.

Meanwhile if there are any dinghy sailors in Gozo, please drop me a line.

Cheers
Nick
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
nicks156
Free member

Postby tagilbert » Mon 16 Jan 2012 20:52 GMT

You'd certainly get a decent dingy sail with the NE force 7 that's blowing at the moment. There's a collection of boats in Qbajjar Bay, on the beach beside the Horizon hotel (a couple of lasers and a hobbie cat) but they look like they may be laid up for the winter.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
tagilbert
Premium Member

Postby nicks156 » Tue 17 Jan 2012 12:18 GMT

Thanks Tagilbert - Do you know if the Horizon Hotel rent these boats or they belong to individuals who just store them there? I'll go down and take a look.

Nick
Posted by:
nicks156
Free member

Postby tagilbert » Tue 17 Jan 2012 17:45 GMT

Hi Nick, I believe they are privately owned, just parked on the beach there. I think they probably belong to the people at the gozo sailing club, but I have not seen anyone sailing recently.

john
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
tagilbert
Premium Member

Postby pumabob » Wed 18 Jan 2012 18:29 GMT

99% of the Maltese would be fair weather sailors and won't consider going out again until May. Haven't seen many dinghies about myself, even in summer, except for the sailing school in St Paul's Bay.

Will ask around for you in case any of my friends know of clubs, etc.
Posted by:
pumabob
Supporter

Postby nicks156 » Wed 18 Jan 2012 22:12 GMT

Thanks pumabob

I spoke to a guy at Xlendi today who said they put their sailboats in the water after Easter. Should be a tad warmer by then too : )
Posted by:
nicks156
Free member

Postby mickh911 » Mon 3 Jun 2013 20:55 GMT

I think the boats at Qbajjar Bay belong to a group of guys i have seen usualy at the weekend, might be worth hanging around their at one of the bars and see who turns up and have a word with them
Posted by:
mickh911
Free member

Return to Boats and yachting