It is currently Wed 24 Jul 2019 04:42 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Repatriation

Repatriation to NHS system?

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Repatriation to NHS system?

Postby chica01 » Tue 7 Aug 2012 18:30 GMT

About 8 years ago, I left the UK and moved to France with my brother. 2 years later, my brother had a heart attack, closely followed by a massive stroke which left him paralysed and unable to speak. He has been hospitalised in a French convalescent home ever since, which is funded through the French health care system, with them claiming his UK pensions to off-set the costs. I am now considering returning to the UK, together with my brother, who will of course require full time care for the rest of his life. I am concerned it will be difficult to return him to the NHS system and am at a loss on how to proceed. He is of course a British citizen, who has paid his dues over the years. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Posted by:
chica01

Postby gozomark » Wed 8 Aug 2012 07:29 GMT

My understanding is that NHS is based on residency - ie if you are legally resident in the UK you are covered. He is a British citizen so has the right to reside in the UK.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Repatriation