It is currently Sun 21 Jul 2019 17:32 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Repatriation

Born in the UK

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Born in the UK

Postby Amazonchiq » Sat 15 Sep 2012 08:18 GMT

My Parents left the UK when I was 3. I was born there, but currently Hold Australian Citizenship. What would it take to move back to the UK and would I have to re-apply for citizenship?
Posted by:
Amazonchiq

Postby Dave » Sat 15 Sep 2012 10:21 GMT

Acquisition of another citizenship doesn't normally mean loss of British citizenship, although it may do in some circumstances.

If you were born before 1 January 1983, then you're a British Citizen. If you were born afterwards, then you're still a British Citizen if at the time of your birth at least one of your parents was a British Citizen or legally settled in the UK. That is, unless you've made a written declaration to the Home Secretary renouncing your British citizenship.

British Citizens automatically have the right of abode in the UK.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Repatriation