It is currently Mon 22 Jul 2019 15:45 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Repatriation

First Steps

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

First Steps

Postby BritMum » Mon 11 Mar 2013 00:39 GMT

Hi,

I'm new to the site and hoped you could point me in the right direction. I have lived in Canada for over 20 years and recently last year became a Canadian Citizen. I still have my UK passport.

I have a Canadian Husband and 2 Canadian daughters (ages 3 and 8). For the past year we have made some life changes that have left us not owning a house or many posessions. I've been thinking for a while that this might not be a terrible time to move home. My husband isn't opposed, his main issue is the usual...work and living location.

If we decided to move towards going to the UK what would be the steps I would need to take? Would getting the girls british passports (if they qualify) be recommended?

I am a Proposal Coordinator for a recruiting company and husband is a builder with his own company. My family is spread all over England but mostly in Cambridge and just outside Sheffield.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now my head is focused on the emotional so the practicle steps are clouded.

Thank you.
Posted by:
BritMum

Postby jacquesfade » Mon 23 Sep 2013 21:33 GMT

You need to check out the UK Border Agency website. The rules have changed (again...). If you don't have any liquid capital you will find that returning to the UK with non-european family members is difficult if you are not in employment. Right now the situation is very unclear as the new financial requirements were successfully challenged in the courts but the Home Office has appealed.... Good luck.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
jacquesfade
Free member

Return to Repatriation