It is currently Tue 16 Jul 2019 20:59 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Repatriation

UK born+Canadian born son has Swedish passport thru ex-wife

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

UK born+Canadian born son has Swedish passport thru ex-wife

Postby goaliedave » Fri 31 May 2013 17:36 GMT

My son & I want to work in England near family, possibly permanent.

I was born in England but mainly lived in Canada and am a Canadian Citizen however I understand that I have right to abode in UK. Do I need a passport to return to live and work in UK?

My son aged 23 born in Canada, has dual citizenship / passports - Swedish through his Swedish mother. Does he have the right to work in UK through the EEA and his Swedish passport?

Cheers, Dave javascript:emoticon(':drink:')
Posted by:
goaliedave

Postby Dave » Fri 31 May 2013 18:42 GMT

Dave, I'll deal with your situation first as it's very straightforward.

If you were born in England and were a British citizen* at the time of your birth you're still a British citizen unless you've explicitly written to the UK Home Secretary to revoke your citizenship. So no, you don't need a UK passport. Any British citizen automatically has right of abode in the UK and can work there, and there must be thousands of Britons who've never travelled overseas and therefore don't have a passport.
(*used to be called a "British subject: Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies" before the British Nationality Act 1981)

Now for your son. I've removed the post you made on rharrison90's post, as it seems best to keep all the discussion together. However, you stated there that your son certainly qualifies for British citizenship by descent. So he doesn't need a British passport either.

But for taxation and social security purposes he will need to have a National Insurance number, so if he doesn't have one already he'll need to apply for one - he'll need to provide proof of his citizenship to do that, though I imagine the only costs involved will be the postage incurred in sending birth and marriage certificates to the Dept for Work and Pensions.

He can certainly live and work in the UK as an EU citizen on his Swedish passport, but in the long run it's probably easier (and less bureaucratic hassle) for him just to get the NI number.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby goaliedave » Fri 31 May 2013 18:50 GMT

Thanks so much Dave, excellent!
Posted by:
goaliedave

Postby Dave » Fri 31 May 2013 18:56 GMT

You're welcome. :-) Your long-form birth certificate, your marriage certificate to your son's mother and his long-form birth certificate should probably do the trick - there's a chance that they might ask for his mother's birth certificate too. Good luck!
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Repatriation