It is currently Sat 20 Jul 2019 22:44 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about New Zealand – Quick Quiz
    New Zealand has its own distinct character which places it out on its own in more than a geographical sense. How much do you know about these fascinating islands?

Repatriation

Has anyone imported a car into UK

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

Has anyone imported a car into UK

Postby mickh911 » Mon 30 Dec 2013 14:13 GMT

we will be driving back to UK with a Maltese registered car early next year, i have looked at the dvla and inland revenue web site for information about bringing a car into UK but i find it very confusing
i have to inform the VAT people before i leave to tell them that i am bringing a car into the country in case any VAT is due, i have to do this before i apply to DVLA to register the car, then their is insurance cover, i can get European insurance here in Malta to cover me for a few weeks.
my concern is how long will the whole process take.
Has anyone on here taken a car into UK and can tell me their experience.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
mickh911
Free member

Postby Dave » Sun 15 Jun 2014 06:53 GMT

Sorry we missed this one, Mick :(

We brought a car into the UK from Bangladesh back in 1997, so our experience may be rather different from yours as it was shipped over rather than driven into the country. But from memory it was a straightforward enough process - the car arrived with the documentation already done and was driven on temporary plates from Felixstowe to our house, then I went to Wimbledon DVLA office from work at lunchtime and got the registration done in about a quarter of an hour, of which most of the time was spent queueing. (Good job I was there in person, as the clerk almost gave us a registration from the year before the car was made.)

Presumably you've already been through the process now - hopefully it was painless enough.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone imported a car into UK

Postby mickh911 » Sat 17 Jan 2015 15:20 GMT

i was lucky enough to find a couple who were moving to malta so i sold the car to them and they drove it back to malta
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
mickh911
Free member

Re: Has anyone imported a car into UK

Postby gozomark » Sat 17 Jan 2015 21:36 GMT

well done :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Repatriation