It is currently Fri 22 Nov 2019 19:04 GMT
Change font size

Repatriation

moving back to the UK

Here's where to discuss the practicalities and issues involved in moving back to the UK.

moving back to the UK

Postby cityboys1911 » Wed 2 Jul 2014 20:23 GMT

my wife and I came to live in the US in 2002 as my daughter lives but my son and grandchildren live in the UK, we became US citizens in 2008, we are now finding it difficult to live here financially as we do not get much off social security even though we both worked here for 10 years that's because we get a UK pension.
We are now thinking of moving back to the UK to live nearer Both Families what will be the pitfalls of moving back we are looking to rent initially but does anybody have any advice on what we need to do.
Dave.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
cityboys1911
Free member

Postby Dave » Fri 4 Jul 2014 00:53 GMT

As chance would have it, we posted on the main site recently about the costs of returning to the UK, which points out at least a few of the pitfalls and nasty surprises. You'll find that article here, along with another about trying to find a rental property:
http://britishexpat.com/category/resour ... atriation/

Otherwise, I'd suggest you read a few of the posts here; there are quite a few snippets of information that should be of some use to you.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. :)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 5 Jul 2014 08:27 GMT

Just to add to what Dave has said...

We are also going through the process of going back to London for a while, and I'll be writing more about the whole experience in due course - including the costs involved.

One thing that I found to be quite a shocker is how difficult it can be to rent a house. The problem is that we have no credit history in the UK. That's because we've never needed to borrow. This is a huge disadvantage. It doesn't matter how solvent you are or what assets you hold elsewhere, the credit agency wants to see your borrowing history or they want you to put up a big deposit (6 months or more rent) or find a guarantor.

A lot of places will advise you to make sure to have the cost of a flight home 'just in case'. But that's only the start of it. We're already into five figures of how much this move is costing us - and that's only some of it. Plus we're only taking what we're allowed on the flight out, ie no shipping, unaccompanied baggage, or excess luggage.

I'll go into more details when I blog about it later but landlords generally want a substantial deposit as well as a month's rent in advance. Unless you're going into shared or short-term accommodation, this can be a tidy sum even before you start considering everything else involved.

Good luck with your plans! Let us know how you get on.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Repatriation